Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2 intakes that i am tryin to sell and they need to be cleaned. they have a few years of crap on them and am trying to make them as good as i can to sell. i didnt know where else to post this topic , but can any of yall lend me a hand on what i can do this with. thanks. i have tried oven cleaner, de greaser and rim cleaner and nothing really cuts down the stuff.

·
19,873 Posts
Media blast and if still stained you can paint with VHT 1200* aluminum like I did.
click the pic.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
DOUG G said:
Media blast and if still stained you can paint with VHT 1200* aluminum like I did.
click the pic.
How long will that paint last?

-

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I have found undiluted castrol superclean to work good. Spray a good coating on it, let it sit and rinse. Repeat a few times. This stuff cleaned paint off my intake, not all the paint mind you. Might want to spray with high pressure from the car wash. Final cleaing can be done with a Texas tooth brush and brake cleaner. In our neck of the woods, berrymans in the 1 gallon can is still available. USE HAND AND EYE PROTECTION WHEN USING THIS STUFF.

Joe

·
Registered
433 Posts
DO NOT USE ALUMINUM PAINT!!! It looks like crap. Blast them and use plasti-cote high temp clear and it will look good for years.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Don't laugh to hard but that cheap yellow can of oven cleaner from the Dollar Store works pretty darn good. I noticed the stuff with the skull and crossbones on it with all the warning signs is the best. Cleaning works best on a warm dry manifold. Then wash it repeatedly and throughly. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it will eat aluminum if you don't get it off. Be careful it will burn if it gets in your eyes. :clonk:
One last note don't let it get on the paint of anything you like the paint on.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If the chemicals don't cut it on there own try steel wool or a wire wheel on a drill. (use caution with the wire wheel) Otherwise take them in to get glass beaded. Just make sure you tape off the machined surfaces.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Most of the cleaning chemicals (especially castrol superclean) makes aluminum look like crap. There is, IMO, only 1 way to clean an intake manifold right. Do NOT sand blast it! Take it to a metal plating shop (for example) and have it glass oxide blasted...not glass beaded, but glass oxide blasted. This stuff is a real fine glass powder with the consistancy of salt...its very fine and it makes an aluminum intake look like it just came out of the box. They can also degrease it first with a "vapor degreaser". I can't remember the exact name of the stuff we used to use in the aircraft plating shop I worked in, but it creates a vapor at about 190* and cleans grease better than anythign I have ever seen. Follow that up with the glass oxide, then paint with a high temp clear coat, and it will look like new for years.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
ummm........Super clean never did a bad thing for old aluminum parts I have cleaned. The easyoff stuff work well also.

Now if you want to talk blasting, take it someplace that does Soda Blasting. Soda blasting is Baking Soda and has the consistancy of salt and only goes through the gun once then is vacumed into a canister and not reused. We use this on Aero Space hardware everyday. It will not deform parts, is safe on plastics and fiberglass and leave parts very clean. now you just have to find a place that does it. The blasters cost about 10K for the one we have, I have seen them for 3 to 4k, so smaller shops might have something? You might try contacting Safety Clean Inc also.

Joe

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i didnt want to spend alot on something i was selling for cheap. the oven cleaner worked a little but didnt get it all. i tried the eagle one wheel cleaner that did a little better but a chemistry teacher at school here told me to get some phosporic acid and spray it on there ..let it sit the was it off with alot of tide. the acid cleaned it but without the tide the acid would leave the aluminum chalky. so the tide jsut put back some oil into the metal...looks pretty darn good to me and looked cool seing that stuff fizz off the metal. problem sloved

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Oven cleaner doesn't seem as harsh, but I used castrol superclean (which I absolutely love by the way) on a weiand 8004 and it turned a dark, nasty blotchy grey. Nothing would clean it up after that.
A soda blaster is another option, althoug the one we used in the plating shop was a wet soda blaster. I used it to clean metal down to the pores for hard chroming.

·
19,873 Posts
gm torch red said:
DO NOT USE ALUMINUM PAINT!!! It looks like crap. Blast them and use plasti-cote high temp clear and it will look good for years.
Really ? mine looks almost like it has that finish that Edelbrock offers now. My intake was stained and media balsting didn't remove it all...I didn't want to go too far.

So it was painted... only been a few months now.
click the pic.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
well, if I was trying to buy a used intake, i'd be looking for one that still has some crud on it- not because it's cheaper, but because you can tell if the seller is trying to hide anything.
i also prefer the cars old cars i buy to have a nice layer of grease on the engine and undercarriage, for the same reason.
but, hey, that's just me.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have a set of aftermarket 14" aluminum or magnesium or something in between rims. They are a mess right now. I am changing to Torque Thrust D 15" rims and want to clean the 14's so they will sell. Will any of the products listed work on the rims without removing the tires? The tires are almost new and I would hate to ruin them as they will be going with the rims.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts