Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been cleaning 32 years and 100,000 miles of gunch from under one of my 69's. I'm actually amazed at how well the underbody looks after a torn rotator cuff, bloody knuckles, strained neck and gravel in the eyes. What we do for fun.

My question is, what's the best method for sprucing up the fuel line and the brake lines (both hydraulic and parking) without removing them.

Also, the undercoating in the wheel wells and assorted areas under the car. Is it best to recoat with one of the aftermarket coatings...does anyone make a spray can?...or is it it best to paint the old coating with a satin black?...or should I just leave it alone (it doesn't look very good even after cleaning).

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Ive never had much luck doing them on the car, but a fine rotary wire brush (the kind for drills) works well to clean up the lines.

You can then go back and clear them if you want....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 5/18/01)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use a scotch bright pad to clean brake lines on my cars.Makes them look like new.If they are real dirty,spray a little brake clean or solvent on the pad to loosen the dirt up.3M make a spray can rubberized undercoating that works very well.Sprays on a nice texture and is much better than the old tar type stuff.If I can find an old can I'll get you the P/N for it.

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed

J

·
0 Posts
You can also get Scotch brite from any auto refinish supply store. They come in different collors for different grades of abrasive. 3M heavy duty compound is what I have found to be best for all around cleaning for the lines. It also works perfectly for the rubber lines and hoses and wont affect the factory collor markings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts