Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys... I have a small issue. I Bought TTO Torque Thrusts about three months ago. I set them in the garage until the weather warmed up a bit.... and found out that the cat got in the garage and decided to piss on one of them awhile back. To my astonishment.... it appears there is some staining or minor pitting on the rim from this. I heard that easy off oven cleaner works great for cleaning these rims... but wanted to touch base here and see what the consensus is. I appreciate any help.... and also have a cat free to good home..... lol.

Willy

·
Registered
601 Posts
Re: Cleanind Torque Thrust TTO rims...

I see this ALL the time, it can't be cleaned. The finish is shot, so they'll need refinished. Cat/Dog pee is very corossive. I've actually seen both aluminum and steel rims eaten all the way through, given enough time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Re: Cleanind Torque Thrust TTO rims...

Stay away from the oven cleaner - too harsh. Run your finger nail over the pits. If you can feel them they're not coming out with any cleaner. Depending on how deep they are you can try a few things. The 1st thing you can try is the power ball and a paste wheel cleaner. I doubt that will do it. If you feel brave sand paper would be next - like you were trying to get a scratch out of paint. You can start off easy with something like 1000. If that doesn't do it you can get REAL brave and go in steps down to 320. You have to be carefull not to DIG into the surface that you will leave a trench behind. Then you work you way back up to 400 - 600 - 1000 - 1200 - 1500 - 2000 - then buff with the power ball. This will work but you need patience and you have to go easy. Little mistakes are a lot easier to fix than big mistakes. Of course you can always take it to a professional and have it repaired and repolished. It can't be worse than curb rash can it? Good Luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Luckily... I have a 1 yr warranty on the rims... looks as if all I have to do is take them back to the dealer. The damage is pretty minor, you have to look twice to see it. I appreciate all the info guys.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rims have a one year warranty on the finish. Best 25 bucks ive ever spent. Spent an hour today with heavy duty rubbing compound...it helped some, but the piting is too deep to remove without rubbing out machin work on the edges of the rim.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The Easy Off oven cleaner works on anything that is anodized... it takes off the clear anodizing on aluminum that is used to keep it bright... if the AL trim or piece is whitish looking then you can use easy off and remove the anodizing then polish it... the problem is that you will have to keep up with the polishing because now there is nothing to protect the Al from oxidizing...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.