Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get the orange peel out of a 4 year old -3 stage paint job below the body line.
I have wet sanded with 2000 with a steady stream of water and got the peal off leaving a smooth but hazy finish. Using the Maguires cleaner ( which is supposed to removed swirls and scratches) buy hand and in some cases a random orbital buffer. I then wipe it down woth a micro fiber cloth and move on to the polish which I apply with the random (and clean applicator) and wipe off with a clean micro fiber towel. -Its still hazy! After repeated attempts it just keeps coming out with the ever smallest, finest scratches causing a slight haze.

I have heeded the warning to take my time and be gentle but after 2 days worth of playing with it I gotta ask am I babying it or am I using the wrong products and or buffer? Won't a regular orbital burn through it? The random does seem like its not really getting on it enough though.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Being 4 years old, the clear is plenty hard, so its taking extra effort. I would use 2500 and/or maybe 3000 after the 2000 to make it easier to buff and polish.
If I were you, Id probably go back to wetsanding with some 3000 and THEN start with the compounds.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think you will need a buffer not a random orbital and some good polishing compound. That paint is plenty hard and will take a lot to cut it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like everone is of the same basic opnion here. I will try some 3000 grit, get my hands on a real buffer here and some higher quality compound and give it another shot. I appreciate the input and will sound out on my results.

Thanks Fellers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts