Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a special feeling. The feeling you can only get when the time adjustment knob for your console clock snaps off in your hand.:thumbsup:

It was a new clock, too. So now anytime I need to disconnect my battery my clock will be wrong with no way to change it except hook up the battery the minute the time becomes correct.

This ever happen to anyone else? Any way to fix it? Or do I have to get a new clock thanks to my big mitts and that little M&M-sized knob.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I had the same thing happen, but the root cause was the repair shop that was doing other work. It was cheaper for them to replace than to repair, since it was new anyway. I have been told the old clocks can be repaired, but haven't done it. I bet that its cheaper to just buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Is the little rod still intact? Mine was like that - still had the black plastic knob that you grab to adjust the time, but the whole rod would come out if I pulled on it.

I opened up the clock and super-glued the rod in the little spot where it bottomed out against the clock. It worked and I was able to adjust the clock a few times before the glue gave out. Might get you through for awhile. Maybe that rod could be welded back in place somehow?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It broke right where it comes through the lens. It'll be a tricky fix if i ever figure out how to do it.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
I had my orginal clock converted to quartz 25 years ago by Clock Works . It finally quit inside ... You can still have them converted for about the cost of a new repop OEM. Depends if you want the smooth quartz movement or tick tick . Your call. Worse part is getting it out without removing dash pad and having big hands.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Is your clock located in the little console guage pod above the tranny? If so - it's not too hard to get it out.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Sounds like what you need is a small piece of plastic tubing. The inner diameter needs to fit over what is left of the clock shaft and the outer diameter needs to be small enough to fit into the hole of the lens. Put a little glue on the end of the shaft and slide the tubing on. If I remember the hole in the lens is larger than the shaft so you should have some room to work with. Finding the right size tubing is the problem. You might try a piece of the tubing that comes with a can of WD40 or there is always shrink tubing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a center console clock over the tranny. That tubing thing might work, i'll have to check and see If there is enough sticking out of the knob for me to slide the tube over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts