Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the little solenoid & spring work in conjunction with one another inside the the original clocks. And I don't mean the "main spring." I mean the tiny spring at the back of positive side points that apparently hold it up or open on the opposite end. I already know about how the points come together every minute or two & pop open thereby rewinding the mainspring.

I have an electrical short some how.

Instead of the points opening up, the whole clock itself will start shooting sparks where ever I place the ground wire while trying to bench test the clock.

I NEVER have continuity "sounding" with my Fluke multimeter UNTIL the two points come into contact with one another.

I am certain the "sparks" should fly (if any) at the contact points when they come together.

Instead, my clock sparks where ever I have the ground wire connected to the clock & the points fail to open & keep the clock running.

No, I don't want to do a quartz conversion.

I like to try to keep this original running.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
Need a picture, but I would think there should be a spring for keeping the contacts, then as the mainspring winds down, another set of points close energizing the solenoid closing its contacts and mainspring rewinds, solenoid opens, and repeat until power source dies.
Yes, there will always be sparks as the the contact points come closer and the 'air' insulator is broken down.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Does anyone know how the little solenoid & spring work in conjunction with one another inside the the original clocks. And I don't mean the "main spring." I mean the tiny spring at the back of positive side points that apparently hold it up or open on the opposite end. I already know about how the points come together every minute or two & pop open thereby rewinding the mainspring.

I have an electrical short some how.

Instead of the points opening up, the whole clock itself will start shooting sparks where ever I place the ground wire while trying to bench test the clock.

I NEVER have continuity "sounding" with my Fluke multimeter UNTIL the two points come into contact with one another.

I am certain the "sparks" should fly (if any) at the contact points when they come together.

Instead, my clock sparks where ever I have the ground wire connected to the clock & the points fail to open & keep the clock running.

No, I don't want to do a quartz conversion.

I like to try to keep this original running.

Thanks
In a previous post, you mentioned that you wanted to repair the clock by rewinding the coil in the solenoid. If you did make the attempt, did you check to make sure the winding wire was properly insulated. If not, the coil could be shorted out causing constant power to ground...thus the sparks.:confused:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=344297

1 - 3 of 3 Posts