Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 camaro RS/SS with a 396 engine and 4 speed manual trans. I have installed a set of headers and now there is no provision for the clucth return spring that hooks to the bell housing fork for the throw out bearing. The original loction was to the exhaust manafold where the engine pipe connected. I can not figure out how to relocate this spring with out hitting the oil filter. I know just about everbody has headers and Im sure there is a easy solution just cant figure it out. Any help or thoughts would apreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
By breeze clamp, I am assuming you mean a hose clamp, correct?

·
Registered
209 Posts
That is exactly what I just finished doing. I used a big clamp around the header tube then a small clamp looped thru the big one which gave me a nice little circle to slip the hook of my clutch spring.

Dean

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I put a stainless clamp around the #5 pipe just above the steering box and bent a heavy duty coat hanger to use as the link along with the stock spring. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I fabricated a small flat bracket out of stainless,and attached it to the bellhousing just behind the oil filter using the small inspection cover bolt located there (after drilling a hole in the bracket to mount & one for the return spring). I then bought a spring at the hardware store that was similar to the stock return spring. I cut the spring and bent the end to attach to the clutch fork and the stainless bracket so that it would travel in a straight line. It has been working great and does not rattle or bind in any way.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts

I added a small flat piece of metal, drilled a hole in it for the spring and attached it to the motor mount bolt.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great soultions. I will combine all ideas to make one better mouse trap. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just drove my slap happy butt over to Classic Industries, bought the big block return spring kit and installed it. Very simple.
I am running 2" primary Hookers, and the rod attaches at the the standard location for a BB the motor mount.

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts