Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting a clunk sound when I shift from 2nd to 1st (mainly downshifting) but I also get it from drive to reverse and park to reverse. I have a th350 with 3500 stall. Trans is new and I also have a new rear end rebuild (Posi,ring/pinion axles etc) I also put in new hotchkis springs bushings/shackles). I just did a BB rebuild so basically everything is new. I did not get this sound after the rear was done or when the trans was new. It seems like it's been getting worse since I added the 430hp motor rebuild. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
A couple of thoughts. First are you sure it isn't the U-joints on the drive shaft? What about slop in the differential gears. Lastly, there is an "anti-clunk" spring inside the THM350. I believe it is on the low/reverse clutch. If the spring breaks or falls out of position it will clunk. If that is the problem, the fix involves disassembling the transmission. Run too long without the clunk spring and the case lugs will wear and or break.

-dnult

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Good point cameron. I tried to start cheap and work my way up but missed an obvious possibility.

-dnult

1 - 4 of 4 Posts