Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has just over 150 miles on it now. Still kinda shaking it down. When I pulled it in my shop I felt a clunk that was in the rear area. I don't know why but my first thought was the front spring mounts. I have the factory 4 leaf springs with bolt on frame connectors. Compition engineering I think. I checked the three mounting bolts on the spring cups. They were not loose , but were not tight either if that makes any sense. So I took the drive shaft loose and the shocks too. Lowered the rear down in the front. I really didn't pay much attention to the speed nuts when I put them in because they were new. I popped One out and looked at it. It was just a pressed cone shaped nut. My feeling is that they stretched. I looked through my stash and found a original. It has an actual nut welded on it. So I ground down the cone on the reproduction ones and welded a grade 8 nut on it. I simply ran a bolt up from the bottom to hold the nut in place. Took 30 minutes to do all 6. Just something to keep in mind for y all high power builders. Pictures of cone shape verses nut original style.

Attachments

Reactions: ctcz28

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
If you have a posi rear I would suspect the clutches being the source of the clunk.

Don

Reactions: pittpens24

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was those goofy spring pocket nuts. All is tight and the clunk is gone.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Nice fix, but if you do hear a clunk again - it's most likely what Don suggested ^^

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
I had one that the clutches were only noisy when the rear was warm after being driven. Changed the synthetic lube to dino and the clunk was gone. Posi additive used in both fills.

Don

·
Super Moderator
32,300 Posts
Good fix. Had the same happen to a couple earlier Camaro's owned.
I pulled out the rear seat bottom and drilled a 1 inch hole from the floorboard and installed regular lock nuts & washer with antiseize.
Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Don, what is “dino” lube you refereneced above? Having the same issue after a100+ mile drive. Thanx
Non synthetic gear lube. Dino means it is made from dinosaurs... :grin2:

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts