Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get ready to install my new engine/transmission and am only missing (I think) the 6 bolts that attach the clutch to the flywheel. What size are they?

I also need a new pilot bearing. Any suggestions?

I also tried to test-fit a bolt for the flywheel-to-crankshaft that was the wrong thread size. I'm an idiot :eek: and I think I messed up the first couple of threads. Can I just force the correct bolt in? Can I cut new threads somehow? Is there anyway to recover from this without removing the crank? I promise to never force a bolt again.:bow:

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I think these are good part # ,GM14061685 Needle baring,ARP #838653 Press Plate bolt set,2002802 Flywheel bolt kit(1 piece rear main),buy a tap and chase the threads,if you don't you may be sorry ...Happy motoring,Visit the ARP Bolt .com site and order up ...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Buy the right bolts, they are not standard by any means and take a lot of shear force. And buy a tap to fix your threads.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
OP

as noted, buy the correct bolts. FW bolts have low heads on them. ARP is a good brand and noted in reply above. Use LocTite on FW bolts. You will need to "carefully" use a tap the thread size/pitch on the one crank hole you FU to chase the threads. Never force anything. Use some oil on the tap threads. Start, back off, start turning further, back off and clean threads of tap, oil and continue going deeper into crank until tap turns freely. Use spray brake clean or something to clean out the thread hole in the crank to remove any shavings caused by using the tap

Pressure Plate bolts are also specific and ARP makes those also. The shoulder of the bolt is not threaded, just the end part that goes into the FW to hold the PP

Pilot bearings are available at most auto part stores. Often National brand which is fine. Tremec/TKO trans take a bearing. Muncie 4 speed typically used a bushing but you can use a bearing if you want. Use a wood dowel slightly larger than the width of pilot bearing to drive it in with a hammer (read don't beat on the bearing/bushing directly with a hammer)

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
If you have a Muncie then use a good bushing, not a bearing. The Muncie shaft is not designed to be used with a bearing. Get a good bronze bushing that will not stick to a magnet.

You may be able to use a 7/16-20 tap to repair the threads in the crankshaft. Use bolts that are made for the flywheel and pressure plate. Flywheel bolts are longer than flexplate bolts.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
541 Posts
Hopefully, sometime in the past 12 years, the OP got this worked out. 😎

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
541 Posts

·
14,718 Posts
Great, I usually catch these, but completely missed it this time. I hate it when people dig up old threads.
It's happening more often now because people click on Recommended Reading below the reply box.

The top one on the list for this thread in recommended ready is from 2009 and the 2nd one down is from 2001.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts