Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've just mated my Muncie 4 speed to my 396 (both original to car) I had my engine professionally rebuilt so I started by purchasing a pilot bushing. After trips to 3 parts stores, I found a non-magnetic bronze bushing at NAPA and installed it using a block of wood between it & the hammer. I then installed the allignment tool that came with my new Centerforce dual friction clutch, along with the new pressure plate into my new cast iron flywheel and placed the clutch over each. I was sure to (in a star pattern) tighten the clutch bolts to 35 ft.lbs....So far so good right?......I removed my alignment tool which seemed to be a little tight going into & coming out of the pilot bushing. It did slide through the splines of the pressure plate just fine though. I attached the bell housing, fork, and centerforce throwout bearing. I then started placing the muncie in and, it got tough the last 3/8 to 1/2 inch. I decided to place the 4 bolts in the tranny & pulled the assembly together. It pulled in with relative ease......Now I notice that, with what I believe tthe tranny to be in neutral, the rear yolk will not turn. Is this due to the pilot bushing being tight around the shaft? Should I force it? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I would double check that the trans linkage is still in neutral, it could've gotten bumped during install.

Pulling the trans in with the mounting bolts is too risky, many cases out there with broken mounting ears. When the last bit seams to not go, I rock the yoke with one hand and push with the other hand and that seats it. Also had someone depress the clutch pedal and have the trans pop into place once or twice.

Did the bushing fit tight on the input shaft prior to installation?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Clutch disc wasn't perfectly aligned. Got some lateral pressure on the input shaft and it's against the output shaft. Try pushing the clutch in and releasing the disc so it'll pop into alignment and relieve pressure from the input shaft.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You for the tips Bobby. If there is a next time, I'll get a helper to push in the clutch. Also I know what you mean about the ears. Had I felt the least bit of resistance, I would have aborted (but I was taking a chance & I DO APPRECIATE you reminding me).
The bushing did slide on/off the input shaft with ease. I placed it in the freezer over night before inserting it. It took a few wacks to go. I'm wondering if when inserted, it may have slightly condensed the hole. Again, the alignment tool goes in & out freely, but seems to tighten when it gets to the pilot.
Steiner, I am going to try your suggestion when I get back in the garage.
Thanks Again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts