Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm still in the process of converting my '69 from a Th350 to a 4-speed Muncie. I have purchase my conversion kit from Heartbeat City. I have installed the clutch fork, pivot ball and bearing in the 621 Bellhousing and it looks like the bearing isn't centered in the bell. Also, I think I may have pushed the bearing in to far into the fork. I have not install the assy. on the engine yet. I wanted some input before I do. What do you guys think?

Thank you in advance. Paul.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Have you used the clutch alignment tool?

I believe there is some "latitude" on movement of the TO bearing on fork to allow it to line up right

I have a old input shaft I use but typically new clutches come with a plastic one

Have you tried putting the trans in yet?

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
If the bearing somewhat "snapped" into the fork, then the bearing will center itself when you stab the transmission. The key is that you have the bearing installed correctly in the fork. There is a wrong way. Do your research, but the bearing will look off center.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used the plastic clutch alignment tool provided with the clutch when installing the clutch and pressure plate onto my flywheel. I believe I have installed the bearing correctly to the fork where the spring tabs are inside the groove. I believe I have pushed the bearing (left direction) as far as it will go into the fork. Do I need to reposition the bearing back out so the 2 spring tabs (in the groove) are directly in the center of the bearing? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I believe I have pushed the bearing (left direction) as far as it will go into the fork. Do I need to reposition the bearing back out so the 2 spring tabs (in the groove) are directly in the center of the bearing? Thanks.
Although I don't have the same setup as you, my fork tabs ride about center of T.O. bearing. I would assume yours would "self center" around the input shaft collar when you stab the trans

Have you contacted Heartbeat with your ?

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
TO bearing pushed in too far. When installed you will be OK. Tangs on the throw out arm should be about centered on the bearing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If the bearing somewhat "snapped" into the fork, then the bearing will center itself when you stab the transmission. The key is that you have the bearing installed correctly in the fork. There is a wrong way. Do your research, but the bearing will look off center.
Yeah, I just did this job yesterday. The throwout bearing that came with my centerforce clutch would slide in and out on the fork but one you slide the input shaft in it, it lines up fine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the replies. I just wanted to make sure. This conversion is costing me quite a bit. I'm running a ZZ4 350. Since, I'm new to this, I thought the kit would include everything I needed. The 14" flywheel was a 3.58" flange bolt pattern so I ended up buying another one with 3" bolt pattern. My hedman hedders wouldn't work with my Z-Bar. I ended buying long tubes Dynatechs. I will also need to replace my 153 tooth starter to a 168 tooth.

Thanks again for the replies and I probably be asking you experts for assistance again as issues come up. Have a great Memorial Day weekend. Paul.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts