Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 69 camaro ss396/4 speed clutch chatters
mostly in reverse-i can only think of 2 thingsas the cause. motor mounts & crank
pilot bushing.clutch seems to work fine other
than the chatter. also,wiper motor runs only
on low speed.appreciate any help.
thanks,
jerry

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Clutch chatter can also be caused by oil getting on to flywheel and clutch disc from a leaking rear main seal doesn't take much,flywheel could also be warped

·
Registered
407 Posts
Jerry, look for the search icon on this site and enter "cluth chatter" and look in the engine and driveline section. You will get some great thoughts, everything from mounts to tranny problems. I am battling a touch of the same and I guess I just need to go down the list until I find the cause.

·
Registered
925 Posts
If you pop your clutch a lot to do burnouts or make the tires chirp when changing gears, this will put hot spots on your clutch and flywheel and make it chatter, also oil will too, much usually it will make it slip, make sure its not coming from your rearend, rearends do it a lot in reverse, mine did, needed some posi additive, but it still didn't totally work.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Jerry, was your car converted to a 4 speed from an automatic by any chance? I converted a 68 to 4-speed and had a nastly clutch chatter.. I had the flywheel resurfaced and relaced the clutch with a new one, not remanufactured and STILL had the chatter. I finally figured out the problem...the end of the crankshaft where the flywheel mounts was rough and uneven. I sanded the surface and the back serface of the flywheel and it worked great. It may not be your problem, but it's a thought.

-Gary

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the quick replies.i forgot to
mention the trans & rear end have been rebuilt & the rear main is seal is dry so no oil on clutch disc. rear gear ratio is 3.08,
no posi.
thanks,
jerry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks mr. c,denver rs/ss,cody,&cavemate. i
have another question. are bellhousings made
of aluminum,cast iron or steel? mine is
aluminum. when i had the trans rebuilt, i
noticed some brinneling on the trans mounting face of the bell hsg. this may be
the problem.when i get the tranny out,i'll
check the bell hsg. also, when reading all
your replies, it sounds like heat is the
culprit. guess we got to find out what;s
causing all the heat.it may be distorting
the bell hsg. any thoughts?
thanks
jerry
your re

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Check front bearing in trans also make sure front bearing cover is on properly. I can't remember but I'm thinking if bearing cover isn't on correctly front bearing will not get any lubrication.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts