Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switching my short water pump over from a flex fan & spacer to a steel fan & a clutch. I picked up a stock fan & HD clutch, but the fan is still 1 1/2" from the blades being half way in the shroud.

Is there a clutch assy that moves the blades that 1 1/2" closer to the radiator??
I did some looking on NAPA's site & it shows afew that have a different fan mounting height. I searched 69 camaro,70 Monte & 75 Vette.

Anybody done something like this B4?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
All of the ones your searched under had long waterpumps so they wouldn't be of any help. You need to search pre-1969. The extra distance should be made up with the clutch assembly not the fan since it just bolts to the clutch. You don't want to try running a spacer with a clutch.

Also, you may want to get a standard duty clutch if you're not absolutely sure of your fan's speed rating. A heavy duty clutch will spin the fan at 80-90% of engine speed so if you don't have an HD fan it could possibly come apart at high RPM. Most off the shelf clutch fans I have found are rated for 4000 RPM which equates to around 6000-6500 engine RPM with a standard duty clutch which spins the fan at around 60% of engine speed.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Why is that? I spaced my clutch fan with a 1" spacer to get the coveted 1/2 in 1/2 out. Seems fine to me.
Personal preference. I don't like the idea of running a spacer on a fan that can go from zero engagement to engaged at say 4000 RPM or something. To me it seems like the shock load on the bolts would be increased by whatever leverage comes from having the spacer. Believe me, I considered it since my fan tip is just inside the shroud but since it cools fine I left it after I couldn't find a spacer that was specified for anything other than a direct drive fan. In some cases you gotta do what you gotta do I guess and if it works it works. Looking at part numbers it seems most places spec the same clutch for both a short and long waterpump application so your way may be what he has to do.

There are two different part numbers for a '67-'68 fan shroud and a '69 shroud. Anyone know if depth is one of the differences between the two?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts