Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been without a "Start safety" device since pulling the powerglide for a muncie many years ago, and I think it's time to put one back in.

I'm thinking a clutch switch from a 69 would be best.

Could someome scan and post or email that page out of the 69 AIM?

Are all the parts and pieces reproduced?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The neutral safety switch on the TKO is what I plan for. Sometimes i like to start the car without pushing in the clutch. There's a thread on here somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I need one too so I saved these pics for reference, I believe these to to be from a 69 someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great pictures, Jerry, thanks.

That was the good news. The bad... My 68 clutch pedal doesn't have the second hole (easy to fix) and my 68 pedal support has no holes to mount the switch it. This last could be tough.

Maybe I'll go back to using the switch in the tko for neutral.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I have an extra 69 bracket here to make a template from if you need it. There are two holes that tangs on the switch fit in, and one at the 12:00 position on the photo above that gets a short self-tapping screw. Probably be tough to drill with it in the car, but I think you could do it with a right angle drill.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dunno Eric, I don't own a right angle drill small enough to get in there, it's pretty tight. My eye's are allergic to metal filings, too.

How hard is it to get that bad boy out of there?
Column will be at least loose, dash cluster will be out, I gotta replace the pedal bushings anyway... My brake rod would unfortunately be VERY unpleasant to remove, the clevis is backwards, and my rod is part of the wilwood master.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The master cylinder would have to come off and be hanging in the engine bay. It's a lot of disassembly for sure just to put a clutch switch in.

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
But, if add the neutral safety switch, you won't be able to use remote start unless you tie into the purple wire going to the solenoid and leave trans in neutral.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm debating Steve. My TKO is an older one, and there's just a plug where that switch should be.

TKO guy's, can I just plug that thing in?
It goes at the very back of the shift rail, on the drivers side right?
What would it take to get a switch?

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Jim, you're gonna race that beauty, right? When I teched-in last season, a safety switch is the first thing they checked. (Can't help you, TH400.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts