Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just restored 69 Z/28 clone with manaul transmission and wired with American Autowire wiring harness. We have a altinator with built in regulator. Having problems getting the vehicle to start. We think it might be the clutch safety switch. Need any information on clutch safety switch, or nuetral safety switch. We do not have a safety clutch switch and think it might be the problem. Do you have to have one for a 69 ? If so let me know any info that might be related. the car was origanaly an automatic so could the problem be in the collum.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Meola,

Yes the 69's do have a clutch safety switch. I just had to replace mine because my car would not start and I conformed that it was the problem (by bypassing it). I am not sure about your specific case, new wiring, but as far as I know and believe all of the manual cars came with them. The car will not start unless the clutch pedal is pushed in. There is a small linkage bar (less than 2 inches long) that attatches to the top area of the clutch pedal and connects it to the safety switch against the firewall. The switch somewhat looks like a signal flasher that when the pedal is pushed in, the bar turns part of the switch to allow the car to start. I know in the archives there is a picture of one. Rick's has them on their site and that is where I got mine.

I am not sure about your problem in the column, I am sure more of the guys will help out here. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Is the harness factory style? If so you need to find the wire or plug (purple ,pinks?) for the clutch safty switch. Try and set up a jumper ad give it a shot. If your harness is factory style your going to need a switch or chance the jumper wire I did for a few weeks. Let us know if that does'nt work.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Are you getting juice to the dash and other accessories? A lot of people miss the lead off the positive cable that goes to the junction block behind the battery.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The '69 clutch safety switch is shown in the Assembly Manual in UPC 6, sheet B10. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
If your car was originally an automatic, did you replace your dash harness with one for a manual trans car?

If you did, you need to connect the clutch safety switch.

If you kept the original auto harness, and everything is actually connected, including the connector to the backup lite / neutral safety switch on top of the column, try turning the base of the column, where it comes out of the dash, counterclockwise as far as it will go, it will fire right up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts