Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what is inside of the cocktail shakers a guy I work with says mercury I find this kind of hard to believe

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought ATF, Thanks now I can settle this debate when I return to work

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does anyone make repro coctail shakers? My convert dosen't have them. Are they worth putting in? My car shakes a little on the hiway but I have a bad bearing on the old muncie that has to be taken care of.

69 SS RS Convert.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I only had the rear shakers in mt 69 convert when i bought it. The car seemed to have very light steering, which i thought was over boosted. I purchaced the two front shakers last month and installed them. I couldn't believe the difference. Most of the cowl shake is gone, the steering feels "heavier" in the front, and it leveled the Rag out. What a difference a couple of 25 lb. weights made on the overall ride and handling.

------------------
69 SS 396 Clone Ragtop

·
Registered
407 Posts
I hope someone proves me wrong, but I am almost positive you are going to have to locate some used shakers. I don't think anyone produces them new. Look back through the "for sale" section on this site and I bet you find some. They are very heavy so shipping will be high and it would help to be able to go pick them up. I am also a believer that you will like your car better with these installed.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have just about every catalog there is for parts and have not seen any repro cocktail shakers. I'm going to put a set in my 69 convt. that came from a parts car. Look in the parts sale section of this site. I've seen them for sale for about $75 ea. Good luck.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I can assure you that there is no one that makes shakers in the aftermarket. I had one that was badly rusted and I looked for months to no avail. I contacted professional Camaro restorers as well asked every convertible owner that I saw.

They simply are not out there new. The ones that are out there are obviously out of junk cars. I think you could probably make them if you are good enough.

There was an ariticle in Camaro World sometime this year on there make up and tech stuff.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets

·
Super Moderator
32,431 Posts
Why not have a drawing made up of a front and a rear, and have them made.

I'm we could find a vendor/machine shop to make them.

I would highly suggest when made, ship them dry w/out fluid so as not to be hazardous material. We could include a fill/drain plug for filling the ATF after arrival to your driveway.

If we get a large volume, cheaper price. I have a shop in mind.

If these cut down on windshield/cowl panel vibration, I might put a set into the BMW convertible I have.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
They're around and should be able to be found for around $75 each in good condition.

Make sure that the year is correct as there is a difference in the mounting brackets for 67/68 and 69. I never got a 100% answer on the mapping of those from a Firebird but that might be another source.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm getting ready to pickup my newly purchased 69 ragtop. I just setteled the deal last night and am waiting on the bank to cut a check! I do have a question concerning the cocktail shakers in the front of the car... Where are they located?
I inspected the car last night in the dark and the rears were there but I don't know if the fronts were there or not. I assume that there located in between the radiator support and the grill assembly?

Thanks for the help

------------------
1967 Prostreet Camaro
402cid BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed... Well almost
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/camaro

[This message has been edited by 67 Prostreet (edited 12-08-2001).]

·
Registered
407 Posts
Prostreet - I have a '67 but my guess is that the location is probably pretty close to your '69. Mine are located at the forward part of the inner fender. If you pull the battery and look in the space between the wheel well and the headlamp, you should see it bolted to the inner fender. Same location on the passenger side, way up by the headlamp on the inner fender.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I wonder if if would be worthwile to reproduce coctail shakers out of fiberglass, just for show??
they'd weigh about 2 pounds each, hit 'em with trunk paint and call it a day.

A thought.

John

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Emptying the fluid will actually not make that great a difference. Most of the weight is the inner weight/spring and housing. It weights about 25 pounds full. I'd guess the fluid ( a quart or so ) is worth 1-2 pounds.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
Some how I got lost on this one... What is the reason for making lighter shakers. They are an intragal part of the ragtop and the ballast is needed to dampen a vibration that is generated from the corners of the vehicle without them. For drag racing (don't see a lot of them) it's 1320 feet at a time go without unless the vibration is amplified at the fast end of the track. For show, what's 100lbs?

Getting back on track. Do a search on "cocktail shakers" someone posted a pic of one cut open a while back. I take that back the pic was in Camaro World Mag.
------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 12-11-2001).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
I posed the question because they are not available as repro, and was wondering if they could be made cheap.
I looked high and low, to find a front set, and finally found them.
I was just wondering...
John

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
I want to tank you all for the lesson about 'vert shakers, even when I'm not a "vert owner I appreciate the info. Thats what Team Camaro is all about, Great info for a great price...

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Hey RickD, I got a pair off ebay for my 68 that came off a 67 firebird. Bolted right in.

I've heard the 67-68 are the same for both F bodies. I think they may have been different for 69 cars, but am not sure.

Shop around--I paid $60 + shipping for the pair.

------------------
68 Camaro ragtop, original 327, angle plug Camel humps, 202's, Performer, Holley 650 double pumper, Doug's Headers, 3-speed Saginaw, 3.08 posi

1 - 20 of 22 Posts