Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the shocks and springs in my car. I want to lower it. So i was looking at QA1 shocks and HOTCHKIS springs. Now i see for the same money i can buy QA1 coil overs. Do the coil overs lower the car? or just leave it at stock height? Any of you guys running this setup? pictures would be great. I was still going to run lowering leafs in the rear.
Thanks! Mark

·
19,736 Posts
For the front you can adjust ride height and different springs give different rates.

For the rear you'd have to lose the leafs,add brackets (usually need welded) so adding coil-overs to the rear isn't cheap... but there are bolt-in kits..again, not cheap.

Lots of options out there, just depends or your cash flow,ability,wants,and needs.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what your saying is the front coil overs are adjustable, where the HOTCHKIS springs are just one height. right?

·
Registered
195 Posts
So what your saying is the front coil overs are adjustable, where the HOTCHKIS springs are just one height. right?
That's correct, you can also get different spring rates for the coil overs as well.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i will go with the HOTCHKIS front and rear(so they will match) and the QA1 shocks. I see DSE makes the same drop springs front & rear, are they any better? or worse? Any input? I see them on the sponser section.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Both are great products. I would look into the spring rates, not sure which is stiffer or if that matters to you.
I have hotchkis and love em.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
We offer QA1, Hotchkis, DSE, ect.....I'm sure we can be of help here....Feel free to PM or call for advice, we have done ALL of these setups many times!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We offer QA1, Hotchkis, DSE, ect.....I'm sure we can be of help here....Feel free to PM or call for advice, we have done ALL of these setups many times!
Thanks Matt you will be getting a call:yes:

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
If I had it to do over again I'd buy these http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjustable-Spring-Shims,3389.html#tabcontent along with their short circle track springs which are available in many different spring rates. The adjustable coil-overs sound nice, but seem expensive for setting the ride height once. I have the Hotchkis and wound up using a spacer under one spring to get the ride height where I want it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I used the QA1 coil-overs up front their adj. shocks in the rear. True you will likely set it just once and leave it but at least you can put it exactly where you want it. I wanted them cause of that and also cause I knew I'd be upgrading to larger wheels and could reset my height (which I did). Later I'll be lowering the rear some more and then can come back and fine tune the fronts accordingly. So the versatile adjustability is something that continues to be an advantage in my case. Also - if you want to take a car on 1,000 mile road trip it may be worth setting the ride-height a little higher for some more travel. It only takes 10 min. and you don't even get your hands dirty. The shock adjustability has also been great to fine tune my ride (front & rear).. I'm not patient enough to post pics on a site and then transfer them over here (I need to get over that) but if you send me an e-mail I'd be happy to send you some pics of mine that I took during the installation.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
Bill's statement is pretty much in line with most of our customers opinions! Things change and tastes change....Its a ONE TIME investment that allows a lot of future options...We have got it down pretty well which coils to use with what motor combos and what the customers desired end result is.

We have not had one failure, warranty claim, ect...and have been selling them for 9 years now.

We do PREFER to setup a Tubular lower arm with them just because ALL of the cars front weight is supported in a very low area of the arm where the coilover "T" bar bolts to.

Most companies offer a lower arm made specifically for coilovers with no spring pocker and reinforced plates.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
No argument here, it looks like a neat set-up. For those w/o unlimited funds however, the AFCO adjusters and springs in the rate of your choice costs $130. Add premium shocks (~$100/ea) and you're at $330. And every bit as adjustable as the coilover set-up, but admittedly a labor intensive operation. Works w/stock LCAs.

PS If you DO change your front end height, you should also consider an alignment as well.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
If you do decide to do a coilover setup which is the best way to go to allow adjustability I would strongly recommend you go with a true coilover design and not the QA1 "hybrid" coilover as the top of the spring needs to be attached to the upper portion of the shock so that both the shock and spring travel on the same plane which the QA1's hybrid does not and when they dont travel on the same plane the shaft in the shock has a tendency to bend and cause the shock to fail. The tech guys at QA1 even recommend not using their "hybrid" coilover. just spend a little time searching the web ;)

The Varishock conversion coilover is the only true "bolt in" coilover. http://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1081-c-o-kit-q1-ballstud-a-crossbar-d-425-travel.aspx and well worth the $
DSE and ATS also make great coilover conversion kits but require some fabrication but also well worth it. just trying to save you from wasting your hard earned $ as I have replaced many failed QA1 Hybrid coilovers on customer cars over the years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What's with the QA1 bash ? I have installed a dozen plus pairs of their coil-over units and have had a pair in my personel car for over three years. I have sold at least thirty more pair to on line customers. Never had a failure ! And as far as the tech from QA1 not recomending their own product ? Give us a break.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
Yeah, I have never had to warranty or replace a unit to this day. Lots of local customers running around with them on. I don't see how the rod could bend since the top is bushed and the swing is minimal the the control arm....At least with normal suspension travel??

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
What's with the QA1 bash ? I have installed a dozen plus pairs of their coil-over units and have had a pair in my personel car for over three years. I have sold at least thirty more pair to on line customers. Never had a failure ! And as far as the tech from QA1 not recomending their own product ? Give us a break.
I would recommend you spend a little time searching the web. here is a quote from Marcus @SC&C
"One issue with QA1`s hybrid coilover setup is that the OE upper spring perch and the longitudinal axis of the coilover aren`t perfectly perpendicular so the higher the rate of the spring the more side loading you add to the coilover and the harder it is on the internals and seals. It isn`t a major issue but it will accelerate wear to some extent. Mark SC&C "

Here's another
"I talked to QA1 a few weeks ago about my rear coilovers and asked if the front coil coversion hybrid thing would match with the rears I want and he told me Id be better off with a true coilover I asked him why and he put me on hold for another call and I got borred and hung up...lol."

Not trying to bash QA1 I was sharing my experiences about them and I had a set on my own car and only got 1300 miles on them before they failed. The tech at qa1 told me not to use them and there are posts on quite a few forums where board member have shared the same comments. They are ok for easy street driving but if you drive your car hard like I do and/or take it to the track/autocross you will see the issue I am talking about. Just trying to share my experiences so the OP can make an informed decision.

And as far as the tech from QA1 not recomending their own product ? Give us a break.
Call them as a regular customer inquiring about their products and not a dealer and find out for your self.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts