Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can I rotate my coil springs in place with the frt suspension hanging fully ? I think 1 of my springs is not sitting correct as it sits diff.than the other side and when I had the alignement done the pass side has no shims and driver's is shimmed out to the max;which is the side that I think the coil is not correct ?:mad:

·
Super Moderator
32,345 Posts
On the frame in the upper control arm shaft area is a hole, about 3/8" diameter.
You should be able to see the spring end.

If not, stick in the hole a screwdriver, and you might have to use a spring compressor, and rotate the spring to meet the screwdriver. Where the spring hits the lower control arm in the pocket is what it is, it must be showing in the hole.

Or maybe a long pipe wrench on a coil with the suspension at full extension.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Yes, if you fully drop the front suspension (may need to remove shock) then you can usually grasp the spring and work it around to sit correctly.
It may require the use of a set of vise-grips or other tool to get the right movement leverage depending on how tight your springs set.

btw - it is fairly normal for many 1st gens to sit slightly unlevel - sometimes by as much as 1/2~3/4" if it's really bad ...
You can level the car several differnt ways, depends on you wants and needs.

Try a few 'searches' to see what some have done to correct.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got it back together ! While I had to pull it apart and see for myself where the coil should sit I swapt in some CE trick springs and it lowered frt by 2" So did that happen because they are no clocked into position or due to spring being lighter ? I'm ok with the new ride height as it's 24 " from fender lip to floor !Just need a new alignment now !

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
well 24"may be too low ! I rolled off the hoist and hooked my frt spoiler on the way down in the middle "NOT HAPPY" at least they're cheap !Ground clearance is not very cool either HOW do all you others run so low ? Will I be destroying my headers now ? I'm going for a drive today I hope if it's not raining !
I'm sitting at 11 1/4"from hub to fender lip LOL

·
Registered
510 Posts
madcarson Re: coil spring position ?
well 24"may be too low ! I rolled off the hoist and hooked my frt spoiler on the way down in the middle "NOT HAPPY" at least they're cheap !Ground clearance is not very cool either HOW do all you others run so low ? Will I be destroying my headers now ? I'm going for a drive today I hope if it's not raining !
I'm sitting at 11 1/4"from hub to fender lip LOL

Well we drive very slowly and avoid speedbumps at all cost !:beers:

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I'm a whisker over 25 inches. X2 on the speed bumps. My header flange has a few war wounds!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts