Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on an old auto part, little bit thicker wire (0.640" vs 0.687"), same od / id, just one end is different than stock. Any rate value? Or designed application for them? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In a past posting, which I can't find now using the search option,
I mentioned the purchase of TRW #5552. This spring has a wider outside diameter, which doesn't fit inside the lower arm pocket, so I had to exchange those TRW#5552 for TRW#5550. Those were the only ones they had in stock, that looked very close to my originals and had thicker wire dia. This ones had one flattened end. Right now I finished installing them on my Camaro, I cutted 1.25 coils from the flat end and placed that end towards the top, then ran the car for a couple of miles. It feels much better/firm and the stance is OK for me, 2" from top of the tire to the fender lip. Just that it would be nice to know any rate value for them.
Before cutting: </font>
  • Total coils = 10</font>
  • Height = 15.5"</font>
  • Outside dia. = 5"</font>

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
My Feb., '96 CarQuest Spring book lists a #5552 as:

1. I.D. = 4.031"
2. Wire dia. = .76"
3. Load height = 10.5"
4. Load = 3024
5. Rate at load height = 529
6. Approx. free height = 16.218"

It doesn't list a #5550 spring!

Hope this helps. pdq67

·
10,142 Posts
Try this calculator: http://www.racingpc.com/tips/coils-springs.htm

The number of "active" coils is probably 8 or 9.
You would loose a half a coil on each end when installed due to bottoming of the first coil. Cutting the spring may not allow bottoming and would change the way you figure rate.

It looks like this spring is 400 lbs or so.
David

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys & great calculator site David. Starting from the 10 coils it had in the begining, I made the following calculation for final coils. 10 - 1.25(cut)= 8.75 - 0.5(coil lost at bottom) = 8.25 coils. That gave me 473 as spring rate. 'm I corect? It got to be somewhere around that, because the car is kinda stiff to bounce by pushing down the fender. Anyway, I'm happy with the end results and it's another alternative when some of you need a coil spring replacement. ;) By the way, the original coil spring gave me 316 as rate, which is close enough for a stock spring. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey guys, a question.

The ends of the coils also play an important roll in spring rate as well. Am I missing something here or are we just getting a "ballpark" figure?

There is no input for the type of ends on the webpage :confused:

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You would loose a half a coil on each end when installed due to bottoming of the first coil. Cutting the spring may not allow bottoming and would change the way you figure rate.
I think it's a "ballpark" as you mention, specially following what David has said before. I deducted 1/2 coil from the bottom side of the spring only, cause that end came from the factory with a closer than the rest, loop or turn? On the top, I didn't deducted the 1/2 coil, cause that end was cut by me and the space between that end and the next coil is the same as the space between the rest of the coils. :rolleyes: IMO Yup, "ballpark" figure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts