Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever install coil spacers under cut coils? I'm putting some Global West 1/2" coil spacers (1103) in this weekend, and trying to determine if the coil will need to be rotated a particular way to accommodate a half coil cut from each spring.

Coils have settled a little too much since install and I'm getting some slight rubbing that I need to address.

Thanks.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
The coils are indexed at the top (index hole) and fall where they may at the bottom, cut or not. I used 3/8 spacers on 3" drop Hotchkiss coils no probs so far. I did use some fine wire (florist wire) to hold the spacers in place on the coil bottom while getting things back together.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Robert. I had thought the same thing, but wasn't sure. I contacted Global West today, and the rep there made it seem that it really depends on how the coil is seated now due to the 1/2" cut from the coil, but I thought that the spacer will sit in the bottom cradle identical to how it is shaped now, and the spring will sit in the identical position as it sits now, just higher.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine was the same as yours, it settled just a liitle too much after new Moog 6308s. I also used the GW 1/2 spacers as a temporary fix. In the future I would like to go with the same ride height but stiffer spring.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,067 Posts
Chad, Position a floor jack under the lower control arm and separate the lower ball joint from the spindle. Lower the jack enough to let the spring extend so as to open the coil spacing but not so much as to allow the spring to move out of position. Pull the compressor fingers out between 2 coils. You may need to pry open the coils enough to allow the fingers to be removed. Re-assemble. I've done it this way many times.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Al.

I'm not sure why I was able to get it out of the other side without removing anything? I was just putting spacers at the bottom of the coil, and did so successfully on both sides without having to support the control arms or separate the ball joints. Its almost like one of those magic tricks where you have to know now the triangles untangle themselves...:confused:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got it. Nothing a ball pined hammer couldn't take care of. Seems like the more frustrated I get, the more hammers end up coming out of the tool box. I am going to have to order the 3/8" spacers though. The 1/2" are going to be too much. These 1/2" spacers lifted the front end 1 1/4"....about 1/4" too much.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where is your camber set at?

I had a slight rub at the top of the fender on one side and it turned out that side had a degree positive camber. Had both sides put to -.5° and no more rub even on big dips in the road.
Hey Bobby. I've put maybe 300 miles on her since the last alignment about 3 months ago. When i first took the car in, I had a pretty heavy positive camber. After the alignment, as I recall, my camber was -.3 degrees on one side and -.4 on the other.

You bring up a good point though. I know that the coils adjusted about 1/4" after cutting 1/2 coil off. I wasn't having any rubbing issues before, so I'm 'assuming' that its the height. Even though its a little high, I'm going to go for a spin tomorrow and see if I get any rubbing.

I know after changing all of this, I'm going to have to go and have it done again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts