Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When starting my car cold, I have to turn it over for nearly 15 seconds before it will fire. Once it does start, it won't stay running unless I keep it revved above 1k rpm.
It will start fine and idle once it is up to operating temp. Can someone give me an idea of what to look for to fix this?
This is on my '69 350 with q-jet and Pertronix altered distributor.
Thanks.

------------------
Dave
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds like your choke is broke.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the engine is cold I depress the throttle once and the choke pulls the butterfly closed. The choke is the original type, spring mounted to the intake and attched to carb with a rod. I'm not sure if it stays closed though (until warm). Any suggestions on how to verify the functionality of the choke?

------------------
Dave
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio

·
Registered
172 Posts
In the winter I have to richen my choke up to help with startup. If it's set too lean I get the same problem your getting. My choke is electric, I don't know about the manual choke.

------------------
Stock 67 327 RS
www.angelfire.com/ca7/goatjjcamarors/index.html

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Sounds like it may just need to be adjusted - the procedure is shown in the 1969 Chassis Service Manual. If that doesn't do it, you may need a new choke coil unit that attaches to the intake and has the rod to the choke linkage on the carb.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 6 of 6 Posts