Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of trying to get my 69 Camaro insured. I called around to the two big names (Hagerty and Grundy), at least those I've heard of anyway. The quotes were pretty far apart from one another.

Grundy : $225/yr
Hagerty: $ 525/yr

I was pretty surprised. Anyone else experience this? The funny thing is that the Grundy policy has less restriction (no mileage limit, etc).

Both policies were for an agreed value policy for $30k.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow , I'm surpirsed that Hagerty is that much more. I'm with Hagerty and only paying $240 yr with the same Stated Value. Did you ask Hagerty why it was so moch more?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have agreed value with Hagerty. Value 25k, premium $197 a year. There's something wrong with your quote from them.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The key question to watch for is "Does the vehicle make 50 or more H.P. than was AVAILABLE when sold as new?" Not 50 or more than YOUR car had, but 50 or more than was AVAILABLE. (wink, wink,... nod, nod, ... know what I mean)

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Your quote from Hagerty must be for a modified 69 instead of stock 69. I did run into this on my cars. I had my stock Z/28 for 45K and my original 6cyl that had a ZZ4 in it for 40K and the ZZ4 was at least 2x as much. I just had a Hagerty claim and all I can say is they were great.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i have 3 cars insured by AAA (2 69 camaros and a 64 cadillac) the yearly rate is good and i don't think i am limited by mileage. they also have a collectors policy but it is limited by yearly mileage that is a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Does tripple A offer agreed upon value policies?
No.
I had CSAA(Calif State Automobile Assn) prior to changing to Hagerty. With CSAA, if you have a total loss claim, they will tell you how much they think your car is worth.
With CSAA, you can drive your Camaro to work etc etc. No mileage restrictions. No garage requirement.This is because the policy IS NOT "agreed value".

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
This agreed value-stated value issue comes up every few months here. Everyone!! Make sure your policy is for AGREED value on your classics! Stated value may have no driving restrictions, but you will be VERY disappointed if you have to put in a claim some day, and you will probably pay more than an agreed value policy. Make sure you get "collector" car insurance from a Hagerty, Grundy or other collector car insurer for AGREED value!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. That makes sense then. The quote was for a "modified" Camaro. They asked whether it was stock or modified and so since it's not the original engine (and makes more H.P.), I said modified. Perhaps, I should have said stock, although I would be worried that in case of a loss I wouldn't get enough to cover my non-stock items.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Ok. That makes sense then. The quote was for a "modified" Camaro. They asked whether it was stock or modified and so since it's not the original engine (and makes more H.P.), I said modified. Perhaps, I should have said stock, although I would be worried that in case of a loss I wouldn't get enough to cover my non-stock items.
Yep, you may save a little per year saying it's stock but if it's highly modified, V8 instead of L6 or ProTouring etc, it's peace of mind knowing you have it insured for what it is and there will be no issues if that time ever arrises.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.