Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought a Comfort Grip/Cushion Rim repro wheel and mounting kit for my '69. The mounting parts don't seem to be made for my steering column. I think some or all of the parts are for a '67-'68 application. The picture below shows the three major parts of the mounting kit. Does anyone recognize these parts as being for '67-'68 or '69 cars?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
412 Posts
Looks like all the stuff you have is right. Look in the assembly manual under option code N34 for the correct assmebly procedure. All the parts and break-outs should be there to help you.
The upper-right piece is for the horn under the locking plate in the steering column. You might not need this because the one you have in your steering column now should work ok.

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
They're '69 Greg. Look just like the ones I got. The piece that is really a problem is the one in the upper right and I reused the one from my factory wheel as it wouldn't fit and I couldn't figure a way to modify it. the horn button also was a problen but it was easy to insulate it and keep it from shorting once the button was on...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I tried installing everything on the column, I ended up using the stock turn signal cancelling piece as DjD did. The showstopper happened when I tried to attach the horn switch to the adapter. The column nut keeps the switch from seating on the adapter. A picture of the adapter, nut and switch is below. Did you guys have to use a smaller nut?

-Greg

·
Registered
412 Posts
If the mounting nut is original, it should be thin, giving you more room. Maybe try Rick's first gen and get the right mounting nut or grind the face of the nut you have.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The steering wheel bolts to the hub, then the horn contact bolts to the sreering wheel.
The nut will no longer be an issue.

·
11,293 Posts
Greg, I had a similar problem as you did. The repro nuts are thicker than the original. And the horn blows as soon as you tighten down the contact plate. You have 2 choices:

1. Get an original thin nut and bevel the edges a bit to give you more room. This can be done on the thicker nut too, but you have to remove more metal.

2. Get 3 small washers and put them under the contact ring (on top of the steering wheel). This will raise it up a little to clear the nut.

I did a combo of both, used the thin nut ( not beveled) and used the washers. The horn button is raised a little more then normal, but it's really not noticable, unless you point it out.

Luck, Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, 3.55 posi too! Driver

1 - 7 of 7 Posts