Team Camaro Tech banner

101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,067 Posts
I believe you need to follow threads for that indicator now.

- Cricket
Cricket, I've just replied to a couple of threads without following and the eye indicator is showing. I think the problem, as Garth pointed out, is the indicator goes away after some period of time. It would be nice if that could be fixed to work as it did on the old site. The old indicator was an arrow.

·
Registered
Mike
350 Posts
In a nutshell....
Cricket's (Administrator) post provided instructions for identifying all discussions/threads that you are going to post in.
Part of the instructions were to check the box "Automatically watch content you interact with..."

Watch = Follow - - - Interact with = Post reply.
So in essence... if you followed Cricket's instructions and checked the box as described above, you will automatically be following all discussions/threads that you are going to post a reply in AND the "eye" indicator will show up for those followed discussions/threads.

The "eye" indicator does not disappear with time. A way to remove the "eye" indicator from a discussion/thread is to "Unfollow" that discussion/thread (red arrow).

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,067 Posts
In a nutshell....
Cricket's (Administrator) post provided instructions for identifying all discussions/threads that you are going to post in.
Part of the instructions were to check the box "Automatically watch content you interact with..."
View attachment 263421

Watch = Follow - - - Interact with = Post reply.
So in essence... if you followed Cricket's instructions and checked the box as described above, you will automatically be following all discussions/threads that you are going to post a reply in AND the "eye" indicator will show up for those followed discussions/threads.

The "eye" indicator does not disappear with time. A way to remove the "eye" indicator from a discussion/thread is to "Unfollow" that discussion/thread (red arrow).
View attachment 263420
Thanks for the explanation Mike, The Watch = Follow says it all. Inconsistency with the terminology on the site instructions made it clear as mud. Thanks for clearing it up.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I thought I'd entered into a new dimension, unfortunately the site owners have a crew of 'programmers' who do not want to FIX existing software (none ever do), they all want to write NEW software and make it better! Unfortunately these programmers don't try to UNDERSTAND the application, or try to use it the way USERS do, so they try out the newest things they learned about programming...

In case my opinion/view of this change is not coming thru loud and clear?? IT SUCKS....

AND for any of you folks that are going to stick around and TRY ot figure out how to use it... the next time the owner hires a group of new programmers.. GET READY! THEY won't want to fix the problems in this version either, and you'll get another NEW REWRITE from idiots who don't even USE the software they are writing!

'wondering if the new owners are also the owners of all the 'News Media' today.??.. they have changed news products to the point THAT NONE OF US want to read/participate in that crap either!~

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,443 Posts
^^^^^
Hey Gary, good to see ya around although would be better under different circumstances. I don't care much for it either, but trying to adapt ! How are things over at CRG ? I check in there once in while to see what's happenin', but seems awful quiet. The days we had 10 yrs ago seem to be long gone on all the Camaro forums....:(

Cricket, I've just replied to a couple of threads without following and the eye indicator is showing. I think the problem, as Garth pointed out, is the indicator goes away after some period of time. It would be nice if that could be fixed to work as it did on the old site. The old indicator was an arrow.
It seems to be working properly, I guess. All threads I have participated in AFTER setting it up as Cricket instructed have an indicator (eye) showing I was there. There's at least 1 thread I had replied to that doesn't have an indicator, which was probably BEFORE I had set up as Cricket described.

So my only complaint is all the threads I participated in over the last 12 yrs can't be found easily. It was a good feature to have as many questions get asked over & over through the years, so it was easy (for me) to find past data in the archives.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
I don't get it. I was on top of the top contributors for the month at 140 and now down to 132. Where did they go?

·
Registered
Mike
350 Posts
So my only complaint is all the threads I participated in over the last 12 yrs can't be found easily. It was a good feature to have as many questions get asked over & over through the years, so it was easy (for me) to find past data in the archives.
Garth, There is a very easy way to find all the threads/discussions you participated in over the last 12 years.
Click on your upper banner Avatar > and then click on "Following" from the drop down menu.

After you click on "Following", you will be redirected to the page showing all of your "Followed Discussions" (Threads). While on this page, you have a couple options...
  • If you want to find all of the discussions/threads that you started/initiated, click on "My Discussions" (green box). You will be directed to a new page that shows all of the discussions/threads that you started/initiated.
  • If you want to find all of the discussions/threads that someone else started... but you posted a reply in, click on "Participated Discussions" (red box). You will be directed to a new page that shows all of the discussions/threads that you posted a reply in.

Here's another tip for quickly finding a post that your wrote on a specific topic.
Example: Someone recently asks a question about "Ways to improve handling" that you had replied to several months ago for another member that had asked the same question. You want to find your original response so you can "copy & paste" the info to respond to the new question.

Go to "Advanced Search"
You can get to "Advanced Search" by clicking on the magnifying glass icon in the "Search Community" box in the upper banner.

... or you could click on the 3 dots in the upper banner > and then click on "Advanced Search" from the drop down menu.

Both options take you to the same "Advanced Search" page.
NOTE: I am going to use myself (oldschoolchevy) in the "improve handling" example described above...
I remember that I mentioned "Proforged Tall Ball Joint" in my original post/reply that I want to copy.
To find my post, I type "Proforged Tall Ball Joint" in the Keywords box (red arrow).
Then I want to begin typing my Username into the Posted by box (green arrow).
  • Note: As you begin to type your (or any other) username in the posted by box, a drop down menu will appear with all of the usernames containing the letters you have typed so far. The more letters you type, the more defined the username list becomes.
Select the desired username from the drop down menu. Once a username is selected, it will appear in the "Posted By" box.

Leave the Date boxes blank... unless you know the specific time frame of the post you are looking for.

I always leave the "All Forums" highlighted in the "Search in forums" area.
You can select a specific forum if you know exactly which one you posted in.

When you are done filling in the information needed to find your posts containing the words you typed in the "Keywords" box, click on the Search button at the bottom of the page.

You will then be directed to a page that contains all of your posts that contain your "Keywords".
Using my example, shown below are all of the post I made that contained the words "Proforged Tall Ball Joint".
  • You will notice that I had 13 posts that referenced "Proforged Tall Ball Joint" (red arrow)
  • The title of the discussion is shown in the Red Box.
  • A brief paragraph of the post I wrote will be shown in the Green Box. This makes it much easier for me to find the specific post I was looking for. If I select the wrong post, I just click on the "page back" arrow to go back to my search list.

Anyway... I hope this helps.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,067 Posts
Mike, That is a great explanation. The new "Follow" "My discussions" "Participated discussions" options are a very good upgrade. Like Garth, it seems I am always looking for previous posts. I commonly used the advance search function for this. Maybe you need to have the title of "Site Answer Man". Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
Mike
350 Posts
Al, Thanks for the feedback!
I've been working with this new format for several months on another car forum, so I am pretty familiar with it. There are a lot of "perks" with this new format... you just have to spend a little time working with it.

I am just doing my part to help other members out with this new site format.... since so many TC members have helped me out in the past by posting about their projects (what worked... what didn't work... etc), which has save me countless time, money, and aggravation with the upgrades I have undertaken on my car.

·
Registered
Mike
350 Posts
I don't get it. I was on top of the top contributors for the month at 140 and now down to 132. Where did they go?
I have noticed the same thing happening on the other car forum site I participate within.... and this is only a guess.

I think that the title "Top Contributors this Month" should really be called...
"Top Contributors for the Past 30 Days".
I noticed that the "Replies" count seems to change daily, so... one day (about 30 days ago) you had 8 posts >>> and then 30 days after you had submitted the 8 posts, they are no longer counted.
Only the post you made within the last 30 days are counted.

Anyway, that is my theory. Maybe a site designer will chime in with the correct answer.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,067 Posts
I have noticed the same thing happening on the other car forum site I participate within.... and this is only a guess.
View attachment 263523
I noticed that the "Replies" count seems to change daily, so... one day (about 30 days ago) you had 8 posts >>> and then 30 days after you had submitted the 8 posts, they are no longer counted.

Anyway, that is my theory. Maybe a site designer will chime in with the correct answer.
Hopefully the site designers can just completely do away with this or at least remove me from the count. This isn't a contest.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
View attachment 263523

Sounds reasonable

·
Registered
Mike
350 Posts
Lots of bells and whistles but no spell check?
Yes... there is spell check within this new format (but it works a little funny).
If you misspell a word, once you space away from the misspelled word... a wavy red line will appear under the misspelled word (see red arrow below).

You would then "right-click" on the misspelled word and select the correctly spelled word from the drop down menu... or just retype the misspelled word correctly.

BUT... if you misspell a word and keep typing without making a correction to the misspelled word,
the wavy red line under the misspelled word may disappear... and you may not know you have misspelled word(s).
See example below - red arrow (misspelled "wordd"... but no wavy red line).

So it is best to correct misspelled words as soon as you notice the wavy red line under the word.

·
Registered
Mike
350 Posts
Mike, your guidance is much appreciated. I'd say Cricket and I owe you a cold one or 6, but I can't even find anything (smileys) in the fridge! This is about the best I could come up with...🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻
Garth, Thanks and you're welcome.... right back at yah!

·
Premium Member
19,499 Posts
I have yet to have any of my questions answered by site mods or admin, so here is another question.

What are the points in the member public profile? I have notice a lot of the members have 113 points. If these points are earned some way, how can all these members have the same amount?

Roger

·
Premium Member
19,499 Posts
I have yet to have any of my questions answered by site mods or admin, so here is another question.

What are the points in the member public profile? I have notice a lot of the members have 113 points. If these points are earned some way, how can all these members have the same amount?

Roger
After investigating a little more I found the points are for Trophies. I believe you are supposed to earn these trophy points, but it appears there are some members that have earned all the points in a very short time. Looks like if you have 113 point, you are very well liked by someone.

Roger

Attachments

·
Administrator
Test Here
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
After investigating a little more I found the points are for Trophies. I believe you are supposed to earn these trophy points, but it appears there are some members that have earned all the points in a very short time. Looks like if you have 113 point, you are very well liked by someone.

Roger
Some members would have earned the points on the old platform which were carried over. The developers are working on improving this feature and making it more relevant for us.

- Cricket

101 - 120 of 155 Posts