Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a Tilt steering column for my '69 Camaro and was wondering what other years and models were compatible to use. I have an Automatic with the floor shifter. I have heard some Nova columns are basically the same. I also was wondering up to what year Camaro column I could use as long as I watch out for the obvious like column shift etc. For example can I use a '75 Tilt coluimn as long as it was a floor shift and no cruise etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You are lucky in that 1969 is the one year that also can use 1970 through 1978 Camaro tilt columns. Those columns will come with an intermediate steering shaft. You remove the clamp and pot coupling, then you throw away the intermediate steering shaft. The steering column will fit right into your 1969.

You will need to purchase a detachable flange (7807052) and pinch bolt (7807271). The detachable flange is no longer available through GM dealers but it is available from various Corvette, Camaro, and Chevelle automotive supply houses.

JIML82

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Before 1979 all of the tilt columns had a one inch diameter splined steering shaft at the steering gear end. A pot coupling (I-shaft) or a detachable cast flange (flexible coupling) would bolt right on that shaft.

Starting in 1979 the shaft was redesigned to a formed double flatted shaft. I-shaft pot couplings were redesigned for this new flatted shaft. The attaching bolt for the pot coupling passed right through the middle of the two flats. There is no detachable cast flange (for a flexible coupling) that fits that design flatted shaft.

JIML82

1 - 5 of 5 Posts