Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any insight into these guys? Bought a set of new heads and it looks like there probable going back. Have to call in Monday to talk to there engine tech. Just more bad luck in a long string of bad news on my camaro.馃槧

Registered
Anyone have any insight into these guys? Bought a set of new heads and it looks like there probable going back. Have to call in Monday to talk to there engine tech. Just more bad luck in a long string of bad news on my camaro.馃槧
i have used them many time their prices are good and so far no problems . I have bought both howards and Elgin pro Stock cams from them carb kits oil pans balancers good prices delivery and no problems I bought a set of dart heads from them assembled , i checked them out before install good work valves seated nice. what are you worried about. Alex

Registered
I know they had problems with lifters being soft. They don鈥檛 make them, just buy em to resell.
Quality in metal has not been up to par due to the COVID bs and supplies.

Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have used them many time their prices are good and so far no problems . I have bought both howards and Elgin pro Stock cams from them carb kits oil pans balancers good prices delivery and no problems I bought a set of dart heads from them assembled , i checked them out before install good work valves seated nice. what are you worried about. Alex
Received my Dart Pro 1"s Thursday and they look dang nice. Friday had my brother over to help me check them out and swap my roller cam springs and rest of hardware from old heads to new. Old heads had maybe 1000 miles but some bad machine work. Brother's qualifications, worked and ran an engine machine shop for about 10yrs, work about 20yrs in aerospace as a machinist. Pulled all the spring setup off Dart heads. While inspecting them he noticed exhaust valves were not seating. Checked them out shining a light on combustion chamber. looking into exhaust port valves seating on about 3/4 of seat. Spinning valve doesn't change location it continues to show same spot regardless of valve location. He guessing valve OK but thinking concentricity in seat is no good. Did same thing on intakes and all looked fine. Stopped right there and called company. There machinist had just gone home so have to call back Monday. There we are currently.

Registered
Received my Dart Pro 1"s Thursday and they look dang nice. Friday had my brother over to help me check them out and swap my roller cam springs and rest of hardware from old heads to new. Old heads had maybe 1000 miles but some bad machine work. Brother's qualifications, worked and ran an engine machine shop for about 10yrs, work about 20yrs in aerospace as a machinist. Pulled all the spring setup off Dart heads. While inspecting them he noticed exhaust valves were not seating. Checked them out shining a light on combustion chamber. looking into exhaust port valves seating on about 3/4 of seat. Spinning valve doesn't change location it continues to show same spot regardless of valve location. He guessing valve OK but thinking concentricity in seat is no good. Did same thing on intakes and all looked fine. Stopped right there and called company. There machinist had just gone home so have to call back Monday. There we are currently.
I never got soft lifters from them I used what came with the cam at the time way before COVID. Through the years i only used G / M or JOHNSON HY LIFT tappets when you bought TRW SEALED POWER MELLING MICHIGAN ELGIN and most of the cam Grinders you got Johnson HY LIFT but this was years ago. Today the go to lifter is PRO TOPLINE AS they bought out THE JOHNSON FACTORY AND MACHINES.. I never put new valves in a head new or rebuilt without grinding them and i always checked the seats and if need be i did those too. To make sure i also hand lapped every one before assy. Alex

Anyone have any insight into these guys? Bought a set of new heads and it looks like there probable going back.
How about a clue as to what it supposed to be wrong with them ??

They are no different than any other seller like Summit ? They dont make anything.

Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
How about a clue as to what it supposed to be wrong with them ??

They are no different than any other seller like Summit ? They dont make anything.
I believe they purchase bare castings from Dart and then assemble them inhouse is what I understood. Pushing on valve face with thumb this is what I see inside port. No matter were I spin valve light shows in same spot. I'm sure valve spring would pull it fully closed while putting tension on stem and guide causing premature wear. all 4 exhaust valves are similar. Intakes look good. Tried blue locate dye and rotate valve but didn't get a good result. Is this acceptable?

Attachments

Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never got soft lifters from them I used what came with the cam at the time way before COVID. Through the years i only used G / M or JOHNSON HY LIFT tappets when you bought TRW SEALED POWER MELLING MICHIGAN ELGIN and most of the cam Grinders you got Johnson HY LIFT but this was years ago. Today the go to lifter is PRO TOPLINE AS they bought out THE JOHNSON FACTORY AND MACHINES.. I never put new valves in a head new or rebuilt without grinding them and i always checked the seats and if need be i did those too. To make sure i also hand lapped every one before assy. Alex
Comp Cam Hyd Roller with there recommended spring kit that went with cam and Morel Hyd roller lifters, All those parts are fine, is issue with new heads.

Premium Member
I believe they purchase bare castings from Dart and then assemble them inhouse is what I understood. Pushing on valve face with thumb this is what I see inside port. No matter were I spin valve light shows in same spot. I'm sure valve spring would pull it fully closed while putting tension on stem and guide causing premature wear. all 4 exhaust valves are similar. Intakes look good. Tried blue locate dye and rotate valve but didn't get a good result. Is this acceptable?
No. That's not acceptable. 馃憥

Reactions: Worn Out Welder

Registered
No. That's not acceptable. 馃憥
To CGS i dont Know whats un acceptable you have a problem with your heads and i understand that . I also understand that your quite upset the valves dont seat right and your right you paid money it should be good but ts not. Unfortunately it is what it is and you either fix it or be prepared for lost time effort and aggravation sending it back and forth etc . In reality its like sending food back in a restaurant , not a smart idea. If you read my post i said i always ground new valves . The reason for this is when the valves come from wherever They come ground with an interference angle, I dont like that as a machinist for several reasons. That being said your heads need to be addressed plain and simple. Being that everything is brand new a couple hundred at a fist class machine shop should remedy your problem . Your heads need to be cleaned all the seats kissed and checked and your valves need to be ground at a 45* angle for proper seating . If they are Competition products heads they are made by Dart I checked this myself with a person from Dart. Here again i understand your plight . I once got a set of Ford GT 40 heads that were extrude honed and supposedly all done by C J BATTEN for a Ford stroker build i was doing in a 66 FORD MUSTANG GTA. When i opened the boxes what i found was one mess of S__T and this was C J BATTEN. The heads were full of semi dried valve grinding compound , thats what they used to extrude hone them to smooth the ports intake and exhaust. They were so gooked up that i would not put them in my jet pressure washer. I completely disassembled them and relentlesly washed them outside with a hose for over two hours thats how bad they were . . after that i put them in the jet washer and recleaned clean heads . after this i had to do all the valves and all the seats and set the sprnigs and all that stuff had to be cleaned they did not even use hard keepers a must with every hi perf application . Had i put those heads as they were on my beautiful stroker short block that would have been toast in two minutes of run time . I did inform the customer of these findings and showed him as he bought the heads. I also did call them and told them of my findings in front of my customer . They were rather indifferent to it all What does that tell you . I did tell them precisely what i thought of their product Quality of workmanship and quality control. This was at a time when things were good in this country and most of the time you got what you paid for he did not but i made it right because it was my name and reputation going on that engine. From that point on i never trusted anybody's work on parts that were going on one of my engines Whatever it was i took it apart and examined EVERYTHING as it had to pass my Quality control and that was very hard to do because i am very persnickety about stuff and how it should be . Now that i have said my rant do yourself a favor take your heads to a good shop and tell the machinist to straighten them out, you,ll be ahead of the game . I am glad i am semi-retired the way things are today you cant earn an honest buck even if you kill yourself with supply problems crap parts exorbitant prices where does it end IDK. Alex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts