Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My car is a complete 67 camaro survivor been sitting in a barn for 30 years.

The floor pan is rusted bad, everyone says you need to remove front subframe.

My question is can you drop it? And get it in from the rear if you remove the rear end and brace everything?

I'm doing this in my garage, have all the tools.

I don't want to remove all the front body panels and engine/drivetrain to get a compete floor in the car. it's all original family owned car I really don't want to completely disassemble the car.

What are my options?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Welcome to the site! I've never replaced a floor pan in a car, but if they floor pan is rusted through, I dare say the rest of the car is rusted as well and will be coming apart, anyway. They make partial pans you could put in that would require less disassembly, but I think you will still have to drop the subframe to do it right., Not a huge deal to remove the subframe. Remove the hood and fencers, unhook any wiring and lines to the engine, transmission, brakes, and fuel, remove the 4 mounting bolts, and roll the whole assembly forward.

·
20,997 Posts
Any way you look at it, it has to come apart.

Interior, transmission, drive shaft, wiring, fuel line, brake lines, sub-frame....no matter what way you look at it, somethings in the way.

I would just bite the bullet, remove everything in the way, and do it right Vs. fight with it every step, getting frustrated, discouraged, and giving up.

Tried on 2 cars from the top, never worked, went in from the bottom. Both were gutted shells.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any way you look at it, it has to come apart.

Interior, transmission, drive shaft, wiring, fuel line, brake lines, sub-frame....no matter what way you look at it, somethings in the way.

I would just bite the bullet, remove everything in the way, and do it right Vs. fight with it every step, getting frustrated, discouraged, and giving up.

Tried on 2 cars from the top, never worked, went in from the bottom. Both were gutted shells.
That's what worries me.

what's the easiest way to get this done in a garage?

If I take off the fenders/front clip. Can I just unbolt the subframe and roll out the engine and tranny as one on the sub frame?

I'm not trying todo a full frame off restoration just a floor pan and put it back together.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
That's what worries me.

what's the easiest way to get this done in a garage?

If I take off the fenders/front clip. Can I just unbolt the subframe and roll out the engine and tranny as one on the sub frame?

I'm not trying todo a full frame off restoration just a floor pan and put it back together.
Unbolting everything, engine/transmission can stay with the subframe.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the site! I've never replaced a floor pan in a car, but if they floor pan is rusted through, I dare say the rest of the car is rusted as well and will be coming apart, anyway. They make partial pans you could put in that would require less disassembly, but I think you will still have to drop the subframe to do it right., Not a huge deal to remove the subframe. Remove the hood and fencers, unhook any wiring and lines to the engine, transmission, brakes, and fuel, remove the 4 mounting bolts, and roll the whole assembly forward.
So your saying i can just remove the front clip, unbolt the sub frame and roll the whole assembly out with engine and tranny? I will remove the driveshaft first of course. Once pan is in roll it back bolt her back up?

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Ok I see I can take it put as one, thank you for the picture.

In that picture are those the brace links for from subframe to rear frame rails?

Do I need another person to roll it out or could this be done by one person?
You can roll it out with no help. I've done done it countless times for decades. Evaluate and use common sense. If you read the factory assembly process at CRG you'll see it is not a big deal. Just go do it. If you question your skills then you will make the entire job a battle.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
You could always replace each side and not the entire floor pan. You have quite a bit more fitting and butt welding to do that way vs much easier to do plug welds with the factory laps. I would suggest taking a close look at everything else before you start though. This is the type of job that can quickly escalate into a frame off. Paint and carpet hides so many problems. Not trying to discourage you but you can have rocker panel problems, trunk pan, frame rails etc. Can you get the car up in the air and closely inspect the underside with good lighting?

·
20,997 Posts
Have seen the front clip removed as a whole (2-4 people) and then remove the sub assembly as shown above.

Watch all your shims, and mark/tape them.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Hi guys,

My car is a complete 67 camaro survivor been sitting in a barn for 30 years.

The floor pan is rusted bad, everyone says you need to remove front subframe.

My question is can you drop it? And get it in from the rear if you remove the rear end and brace everything?

I'm doing this in my garage, have all the tools.

I don't want to remove all the front body panels and engine/drivetrain to get a compete floor in the car. it's all original family owned car I really don't want to completely disassemble the car.

What are my options?
Can you share some pics of the car?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Ok I see I can take it put as one, thank you for the picture.

In that picture are those the brace links for from subframe to rear frame rails?

Do I need another person to roll it out or could this be done by one person?
I had weld in subframe connectors. Made it easier to roll the whole thing around. As was also mentioned, half pans is an option. Did that on my 71 elco. And actually still doing the half pans on the 67 camaro now.

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Have seen the front clip removed as a whole (2-4 people) and then remove the sub assembly as shown above.

Watch all your shims, and mark/tape them.
If he's removing the subframe, the bushings should be replaced if they are shot. Most times the thickness and amount of shims changes. I do this every day. I also make my own shims to make flawless gaps. The OP is going to have to educate himself in this business. Not that difficult.

·
20,997 Posts
If he's removing the subframe, the bushings should be replaced if they are shot. Most times the thickness and amount of shims changes. I do this every day. I also make my own shims to make flawless gaps. The OP is going to have to educate himself in this business. Not that difficult.
While I agree the bushings should be replaced...I don't understand why the shims would change. They were right before, but guess "maybe".

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
While I agree the bushings should be replaced...I don't understand why the shims would change. They were right before, but guess "maybe".
What do you consider "right"? Depends on reassembly and alignment goals. If you work on original cars or someone else's job you will find some improvements can be performed. I do this everyday on numerous makes and models.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm planning on new bushings.

Shims I will probably leave how they are now, but who knows once I'm into it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had weld in subframe connectors. Made it easier to roll the whole thing around. As was also mentioned, half pans is an option. Did that on my 71 elco. And actually still doing the half pans on the 67 camaro now.
The more I think about it, I feel like I should have done half pans its really just one side of the car that is bad, But I got a compete floor pan on its way.

I'm also doing the rear frame rails as the right side is gone and the leaf spring came through the floor. Along with the front toe boards.

So far parts list so far is
Complete floor pan
Left and right front toe boards
Left and right leaf spring eye mounts
Left and right frame rails for 68-69 camaro.

Am I missing any parts?

The seat braces I'm going to reuse as they aren't rusted

The reason I'm doing 68 frame rails is my understanding is it will change my setup to staggered shocks. I really want to make this car a daily driver and enjoy it in the summers.
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Wood
Car Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Mode of transport

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Oh boy. That car is rusty.

Rockers, quarters, fenders, trunk drop offs, trunk floor, door skins, seat pans, fender extensions, lower valance….

Guessing tail panel, roof skin, various cowl and firewall panels, rear filler panel, outer wheel housings. The list goes on….

A body jig would be a good idea imho….

Don

Reactions: srode and allanjs
1 - 20 of 26 Posts