Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could give me a rough idea.. and maybe chime in and let me know my options.

I want to add a tach, and such.. Right now I have only a spedo, and a fuel gauge [which only works half the time].

I REALLY like the look of the console gauges, and would LOVE to put those in.. and a tach in the dash, where the fuel gauge is.

I've heard a lot of bad things about the repro console gauges though.

Does anyone know what it would run me to add console gauges, + all of the wiring [non console gauge car] + the tach?

VS

I like the look of the Covans gauges, I already know the price of those.. but Ive been hearing really bad things lately about Classic Industries, and their rediculous back order times.

Which would be a cheaper route?
Which has a better quality product?

·
Registered
451 Posts
There are several vendors that sell the repro center console gauges. I bought mine from Matt's Classic Bowties, and you can get the wiring harness from AAW to complete the install.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are several vendors that sell the repro center console gauges. I bought mine from Matt's Classic Bowties, and you can get the wiring harness from AAW to complete the install.

What did it run you, to get everything to install it?

·
19,864 Posts
Since you said you only have a sppedo and fuel guage I'll assume it's a 67 or 68 ???

I like this from Covans...A little steep in price...but.....looks good :yes:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
If you have a 69 you can do it for what ever you can get a tach and the 4 gauges you decide on plus the pod like bigblock shows for. Plus your own wire/heatshrink from the auto store. The wiring you can do and make up yourself. I have done these same things to my 69 which only had a speedo and gas gauge also. I used the auto meter gauges. Make sure if you use the pod like shown above you use the right size diameter gauges. I used the autometer pro comp ones. I thought they looked more like the dash stock gauges. You can put in the tach without having to remove the whole dash carrier.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hey Chris, so you still have not made up your mind on what to do about that guage install of yours?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Chris, so you still have not made up your mind on what to do about that guage install of yours?

Nope...hah..
I'm really leaning to the console gauges, I love them.
but Ive heard the fit/finish is hit and miss on the repro's.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
I've got maybe $300 in mine. I'm using all Auto Meter Sport Comp gauges: 3-3/4" tach on the column and 2-1/6" mechanical oil pressure, mechanical water temp, AFR with 1V O2 sensor, and vacuum/boost mounted in their custom pod for '68-'69 console. I ran a dedicated line straight from the battery to a 6-fuse block and also have another 6-fuse block fired with a 60A relay from the switched ignition source all mounted under the console. Anything auxillary added to the car will be run from these fuse blocks to keep from stressing the minimal stock harness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts