Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the stereo posts and seeing what worked for you all, I completed my stereo set-up and thought I'd share the basic details of my install.

My goal was to maintain the stock factory AM radio look but install a completely hidden sound system that sounded awesome.

To do this I installed a Pioneer MP3 head unit in the glovebox. I bought an underdash stereo mount, inverted it and installed it inside the glovebox with the rear of the mount resting on the heater box. It is firmly mounted with plenty of space in the front and sides for the remote and a few other small objects.

I then installed Infinity Reference speakers in the kick panels behind factory grills. They fit perfect.

Infinity Reference 6x9's were then installed under the rear package tray without cutting any holes in the package tray itself (I removed the tray and bolted the speakers into place).

I bought a Pioneer CD changer at a yard sale. Seller thought it was broken but the door had just come off the track. The changer matched my head unit and plugged into the back. It is bolted underneath package tray and is only visible if you stick your head into the truck and look up. It is completely controlled through the head unit.

I installed the Kenwood KSC-SW1 subwoofer inside my rear seat, secured to the seat frame and surrounded it with rubber packing on all sides (this worked great and give plenty of bass)

I hooked all 4 speakers and the sub through an Alpine amp that I attached upright to the rear trunk panel area, hidden behind the spacesaver spare.

The stereo sounds awesome and the bass is perfect. The only component visible is the kick panel grill which was available from the factory. Even with the trunk open at a car show, the amp is hidden behind the tire and the 6x9 speakers are difficult to see.

Total invested:
Pioneer MP3 Head Unit w/remote: $45 Craigslist
Kenwood KSC-SW1 Sub: $96 Ebay
Infinity kick panel speakers: $35 Ebay
Infinity 6x9's: $50 Ebay
Pioneer 6 CD Changer: $1.00 yard sale
Underdash radio mount: $12 Ebay
Wiring: $20
Total: $259 invested

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't take pictures....it's HIDDEN...hehehe

Okay, I'll try....

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Craigslist and Ebay are great resources--the only "steal" I got was the CD changer.

I paid full used price for the sub and the going rate for a used Pioneer head unit is about $50 on Craigslist. Speakers were the going price on Ebay too. It is just a matter of being willing to buy used and save the money for other things.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Nice job, well thought out. I am doing the same with my 69. I am replacing the radio with a delete plate containing my extra electrical switches and going to a marine head unit/receiver with remote control and Ipod connect. The marine unit is set up for remote use and designed to be hidden. The remote will allow me to fully operate the unit and Ipod as well as display the info on the remote screen. I like how you hid the speakers and such, makes for a clean look.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I like everything except the cd changer as they are obsolete. A good deck with an Ipod interface is the way to go these days. You can't have 6000 songs at your disposal with a CD changer like I can with the IPod in all my vehicles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts