Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently working on a 69 Camaro and have a few questions but first a little background about the car. I bought her from a guy that already had some body work done on it and then it was painted. Since I have had it, I have started cleaning up the interior floor pan which has presented some rust. I planned to sandblast all of the interior and leave the exterior alone but after looking over the exterior closely I have noticed some rust and paint cracking in a couple areas (drivers side where the roof support meets the roof at the windshield) and some imperfections in the paint that I'm not sure of what is causing them, either bad prep or some type of cancer underneath.

My question is, do I blast the whole car to bare metal or do I just have the blasters hit the areas that are of concern? Trying to figure out what will be the easiest for a body and paint shop to deal with.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,663 Posts
I advise against blasting large flat exterior panels. Too many hacks out there who will warp your panels. Sand it off with 80 grit on a DA. Blasting works great in door jams, drip rails etc. But yes, strip the whole car.

Don

·
15,827 Posts
It's like pulling a thread on a sweater.

I would have the entire car taken down to bare metal and let the shop deal with the results

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
I had the same issues at the windshield pillar. Said to be a problem area. I would strip and media blast the outside . Unless you have owned this car since new, you may find issues later , after you have spent $$$ on paint. I did plastic media blast. ,

·
Premium Member
5,663 Posts
I advise against blasting large flat exterior panels. Too many hacks out there who will warp your panels. Sand it off with 80 grit on a DA. Blasting works great in door jams, drip rails etc. But yes, strip the whole car.

Don
BTW, heat from blasting is not what warps the panels. It is the peening effect of blasting one side of the panel.

Don

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the car all apart ?? What are your long term goals ?? I would have the outside "Dustless Blasted". Anything rusted on the interior should be replaced with new metal. Automotive Cleaning- Dustless Blasting Industry Opportunity
Yes the entire car is apart. Currently a rolling chassis with a paint job and nothing else. I have taken off the front fenders and hood to prepare for blasting the interior but wasn't sure if I should just bite the bullet and do the entire car so that I know that my paint won't have any issues down the road.

As far as goals for this car, I wasn't planning on making it a show car by any means. Just a restomod that would be fun to take out on the town and maybe to the strip every now and then. Sure I would take it to some shows but that wasn't the sole purpose of this car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts