Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to determine compression ratio without access to cam specs? if so how? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
501 Posts
The cam won't alter your compression ratio. It could impact your compression...a long duration stick will bleed off compression early in the sqeeze stroke, but the CR stays the same. For this reason, a stick with a little longer duration can help reduce pinging (detonation).

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
if you are looking for dynamic compression, measured in psi, just run the engine and pop a compression tester in one spark plug hole at a time. the camshaft can effect this measure of compression. If you are looking for static compression, measured as a ratio like 9:1 for example, yes it can be measured without cam specs. To do this, you must look into some math... In another recent post DjD outlined the equations that will help you out. I'll try to find it....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW! I need to do a lot more research into my engine. Irecently bought my 68 with 383, but I dont know a lot of the information required to figure out the CR. Basically it runs poorly when I use anything less than 92 octane. I tried to adjust the timing, but it only helped a little. Thanks for all the links, they will be very useful in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts