Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I just plug the gas line at the carb entrance to perform a compression test. I don't want to damage my fuel pump.I presently have the carb off the manifold for refreshing. Any good site to get info on performing an accurate
compression test. Also any tips/advice.
Thanks;
John Lighthart

1967 sbc 327

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
You could use a paint can or similar container to catch the excess; or better yet at $2.81 a gallon disconnect the input side of the fuel pump and plug the fuel line there.

You will need a compression gauge (or better yet a leak down tester) to measure your motors compression. After removing all plugs, thread the gauge into the cylinder and spin it over a few revolutions until the meter stops climbing. Record all your readings then check to see if any are more than 15% more or less than the others (they should all be the same, but there are reasons for variation amongst the cylinders). Keep the readings; set them aside in some safe place, and save them for latter comparisons as your motor ages.

A leak down tester requires compressed air and the leak down twin gauge set to compare every cylinder against a known standard, not just what it is capable of generating. It is a much more accurate test and can pin point ailing rings or leaky valves that the compression test can not.

Larger Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.