Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
396 with the 325hp and has edelbrock 454R-head part 6055 along with cam,intake, and holly carb. What is the comp. In the motor and what should each cylinder comp. Be around when I do a test. Also where should my timing be and how much HP. Should it make. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Do you mean the Edelbrock Performer RPM 60555 head? If so that has a 118 cc combustion chamber and 315 cc intake runner.

Do you have stock pistons in the 396? Standard bore?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you mean the Edelbrock Performer RPM 60555 head? If so that has a 118 cc combustion chamber and 315 cc intake runner.

Do you have stock pistons in the 396? Standard bore?

Yes the 6055 kit stock pistons and bore

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Joe,
I'm going to guess your compression is around 8.18 to 1 with a Felpro .031 head gasket...With a steel shim gasket .020 would give you around 8.33 to 1...

Bore: 4.094
Stroke: 3.76
Cylinder head Volume: 118 (This is hurting your compression)
Effective Dome Volume: -17 (ball park for the 10.25 pistons)
Head Gasket thickness: .031 for Felpro (steel gasket would be around .020)
Deck Clearance: .025 (OEM pistons)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
396 with the 325hp and has edelbrock 454R-head part 6055 along with cam,intake, and holly carb. What is the comp. In the motor and what should each cylinder comp. Be around when I do a test. Also where should my timing be and how much HP. Should it make. Thanks
Holy Mis-Match Batman !

Just kiddin' but those huge intake ports on a 396 will result in very poor low-end torque.

Better to come here and ask for advice before buying parts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy Mis-Match Batman !

Just kiddin' but those huge intake ports on a 396 will result in very poor low-end torque.

Better to come here and ask for advice before buying parts.
Didn't buy them came with the car. I would have asked my engine builder Joe at J&E performance in Blackwood nj. But then I would probably have gotten carried away and went all out on something radical lol.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Didn't buy them came with the car. I would have asked my engine builder Joe at J&E performance in Blackwood nj. But then I would probably have gotten carried away and went all out on something radical lol.
Those heads are worth a lot of $$$ so you can always trade or swap for whatever you need.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Yep, and a set of smaller combustion chamber heads would help bump up the compression.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts