Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to replace an AC compressor clutch with the compressor still mounted on the engine? I have a 95 Z28 and the bearing has gone bad. Didn't know if I needed to unmount it, take it totally out or what. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had already found that video on this site, but thanks ZZ. :thumbsup:

My question is "has anyone successfully R&R the compressor clutch while the compressor is still on the engine?" I know its tight. I'm just trying to find out if anyone attempted this without going thru the trouble of purging the system and wrestling the compressor out of that incredibly tight space. Anyone?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everett, thanks for your input, however I have to dispute your advice. After looking at it for some time and not wanting to purge/recharge the system I decided to try it. I went to Advance Auto and got their A/C loaner tools and tackled it.Though its tight I was successful in removing the clutch pulley with little trouble. The bearing had started making noise, so I got one from Amazon. Pressed it out and back in, then replaced the pulley and clutch plate making sure I had the right air gap of .030". She's quiet as a mouse.:hurray:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Nice job Chris. I had a squeaky bearing on my 94 Z and took the lazy way out. Every once and a while I would shoot a little WD-40 on it. I drove the car 500 miles a week and it took the squeak out for a few weeks at a time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts