Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a Camaro thing, but an observation on my S-10. If I run a higher octane gas in my little 2.5 S-10, it seems to have quite a bit more power. Would that be because the computer can run more advance under load without the knock sensor retarding the timing? Does this put a modern day spin on the old 'more octane=more power' myth?? It's really not in my head. There is a noticable difference.

Mark

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
What you are saying makes sense, but I've never noticed any differnece when putting premium in my newer models. Is your power increase worth the price?

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Robert

For just commuting to work and back, it doesn't really justify buying 91 octane.
But there is a difference even with the 89 octane, which around here is only a couple cents a gallon more.

The little engine is getting tired (180,000). This may have something to do with it. And the 2.5 isn't noted for it's 'tire blistering' capabilities to begin with. I was just thinking maybe more octane does equal more power for small engines in the computer age???

Mark

·
Retired
26,644 Posts
Mark - you got it right on... the computer senses knock and retards the timing. I can run 87 in my LT1, but it is a dog compared to when it has 92 in the tank!! The change in timing is what causes the power change not the octane.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I remember reading on CamaroZ28.com where a guy picked up 5 or 10 horsepower on the dyno after filling his tank with 100.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1169124&a=8603468

1 - 5 of 5 Posts