Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a stupid question but I noticed on several sets of connecting rods I have including my new Scat rods that the overall thickness of the big end of the rod is not perfectly centered with the thickness of the rod beam. Does the heavy side go out toward the crank throws or in toward each other? Does it make a difference?

I will be using Speed Pro flat tops with 4 reliefs. The pistons have a small notch on on the top at one side and I assume these notches are to point to the front of the motor in both cylinder banks, is that correct!

I figured I would start with you guys first and if no ones knows(which I can't believe) I will contact the manufacturer and ask them! Thx for your help in advance!

Tom

·
Registered
110 Posts
The notches on the pistons go to the front of the engine.As far as the rods go,look at the big end and see if it has a taper on one side of the bore.If it has, then the taper should point towards the counter weight on the crank,offering more clearance for larger journal radius offered on some high performance cranks.

·
3,405 Posts
Tom,
On most Chevy rods, the little notches that help align the rod bearings go "out" towards the oil pan rail. This will make the offset in the rod correct.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx Richard & Bill!!!

Both replies proved to be right on the m,oney with my Scat rods(and I am sure with all others). It certainly makes the most sense that the larger chamfer on the big end bore would go out to the crank throw in order to provide adequate clearance for the crank journal radius. Positioning the rod in this way also winds up putting the bearing tang slots out toward the pan rail. Now I can get started on my trial assembly in order to check rod to cam clearance so I can determine if I really need to go to a small base circle cam or not.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts