Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Still trying to connect my console gauges on my '69 using the wiring harness that came with the car that isn't the original type. I already connected the temp, fuel and oil gauges and still got the ammeter left. I traced the wires that went to the bad ammeter, (pink) is piggy backed to the other gauges and connects to the ign. going into the fuse panel and the other wire (blue) went to the alternator. On my alternator, there is only the blue wire coming out of the 2 terminal connection. Can I go ahead and reconnect my new ammeter to the rest of the cluster gauge assy. following the existing wiring and assume this is the way the ammeter is connected? Pls let me know...Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
The OE style ammeter is wired at two places. One place is the horn relay buss bar for one ammeter terminal.

The other ammeter terminal is placed at the junction block by the battery up front on the radiator support. The OE ammeter basically measured the millivolt drop of voltage on the length of #10 AWG red wire from the same two items, the block & horn relay buss bar.

If the meter you have is a voltmeter, tie it to ground and to the fusebox terminal labeled IGN.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I don't see any wire coming out of the spade terminals on the alternator on the diagram, where my alternator shows spade terminals in a horizontal position and my wire is blue which is on the right hand side. Right now, I don't have any wires going to my external regulator. How exactly should I connect my ammeter and where should I run my single blue wire on my alternator not to include the big red wire. Right now, my ammeter is connected to the blue wire on the alternator and on the fuse box labelled IGN. Do I NOT connect it this way? Any recommendation! Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
69rszee said:
Thanks for the reply. I don't see any wire coming out of the spade terminals on the alternator on the diagram, where my alternator shows spade terminals in a horizontal position and my wire is blue which is on the right hand side.
They are not shown for reference. The pic only shows "main wiring"

69rszee said:
Right now, I don't have any wires going to my external regulator. How exactly should I connect my ammeter and where should I run my single blue wire on my alternator not to include the big red wire.
What kind of alternator do you have, 1 or 3 wire, internally or externally regulated? To tell the difference, see my posts here
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105661

69rszee said:
Right now, my ammeter is connected to the blue wire on the alternator and on the fuse box labelled IGN. Do I NOT connect it this way? Any recommendation! Thanks!
That is wrong. Factory wiring was to junction block by battery and main splice, but you can use junction block by battery and horn relay.
The reason is the factory ampmeter is really a milivolt gauge and reads the voltage difference between the junction block and the horn relay. The wiring need to be factory (with no add ons) between the junction block and the horn relay for the ampmeter to work correctly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe I have an internal regulator because my prongs on the alternator are in a horizontal position (--). Sorry, I'm not too sure what you meant by if it's a one or three wire alt. If you look straight on towards the big red cable with the prongs on the top, my single blue wire is on the left. Where would I be connecting this blue wire if it won't be going to the ammeter and would I be using the other prong too? As far as my ammeter, i'll be connecting it between the junction block by the Battery and the Horn Relay. What size wire should I use and should I install fusible links to each end of the leads of the ammeter? Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
You would hook up the ammeter as shown in undee's pic using 14 AWG wire. Thank you undee for the pic.

Visit Mad electrical's website for further hook-up of the internal regulated alt to external regulated wiring harness. Its fairly easy.

·
Registered
453 Posts
69rszee said:
I believe I have an internal regulator because my prongs on the alternator are in a horizontal position (--). Sorry, I'm not too sure what you meant by if it's a one or three wire alt. If you look straight on towards the big red cable with the prongs on the top, my single blue wire is on the left. Where would I be connecting this blue wire if it won't be going to the ammeter and would I be using the other prong too?
It must have been converted to a internally regulated alternator, which is good. Blue wire goes to terminal 1 at the alternator (there should be markings on back of alternator, see pic). The wire colors are different in pic because its not a factory setup.

Terminal 2 is the sense line. There are several places it could be connected, depending on how it was converted. If using the original wiring, use the white and the white is jumpered to the red at the old voltage regulator, see pic

69rszee said:
As far as my ammeter, i'll be connecting it between the junction block by the Battery and the Horn Relay. What size wire should I use and should I install fusible links to each end of the leads of the ammeter? Thanks again!
I would use 5 amp fuses. Even though the factory used fusible links, they are still to high rated for the amp gauge circuit. On 70-72 chevelles, the PCB would burn before the fusible links ever blew. Use 14 or 16g wire, the factory used 16g.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm still trying to determine how will I run the wires off the 2-prongs on my internal regulated Alternator. I don't know where the wires (blue, wh, red and brn) leading into my external are at. Like I said above, there are no wires going into my ext. regulator (cut). Following undee72Z's diagram, can I just wire up alt#1 to the Horn Relay Buss Bar (white wire) and alt#2 to Generator Indicator and Ign. Sw. (brown wire). I'm confused. HELP! Thanks Buddies!!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
69rszee said:
I'm still trying to determine how will I run the wires off the 2-prongs on my internal regulated Alternator. I don't know where the wires (blue, wh, red and brn) leading into my external are at. Like I said above, there are no wires going into my ext. regulator (cut).
The wires should still be there, someone may have just cut the plug off. Old VR was near the horn relay. You may have to open up harness to find them.

69rszee said:
Following undee72Z's diagram, can I just wire up alt#1 to the Horn Relay Buss Bar (white wire) and alt#2 to Generator Indicator and Ign. Sw. (brown wire). I'm confused. HELP! Thanks Buddies!!!
Yes, you could but you have it reversed....should be this way.....

Can I just wire up alt#2 to the Horn Relay Buss Bar (white wire) and alt#1 to Generator Indicator and Ign. Sw. (brown wire).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for being patient with me and for all the "GREAT" information. I'll try it this weekend. Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts