Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed console gages in my 69. I connected the backlights for thr gages to the small fuse that only has 2.5 amps. It keeps blowing the fuse. Does anybody know if these lights will draw more than that in addition to what is on the circuit. Any other suggestions on a switch power source for it?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Those lights are part of the dash lights. They dim with the headlight switch.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Assuming you're talking about the INST fuse, the short one at the bottom of the fuse panel, it should be 6 amps.

Still, I would not expect the addition of a few more bulbs to blow even a 2.5 amps fuse. Take the top off the console and check all the bulb sockets for shorts.

pull all the bulbs and power it up with the console top upside down. Fuse blow? Add bulbs til it does. Check that socket close.
Remember that circuit also goes to the gear indicator if auto trans.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jim
Yes INST fuse. Is this the right fuse to attach these to? Mine are aftermarket Autometers.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
look at the wattage rating of the bulb. Divide that by 12 and you'll have your amperage draw. For example 5 watt bulb. four bulbs. 20 watts. 12 volts. 20 divided by 12. 1.6 amps.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
yes, that is the correct place to attach them, the INST fuse, or any gray wire you find.

You should not be blowing that fuse. It should be a 5 amp tho, not 2.5.

I have 7 watt bulbs in my dash instead of the standard 4 watt (28 watts instead of 16) plus 6 autometer gauges on that circuit, never blew a fuse.

I think you might have a short somewhere.

You're only using that source for the white light wires, right? Not to actually power the gauges?
All the gauges have a good ground, and all the lights too?
Nothing is shorting on the mounting brackets?

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jim
I will check it out when it is back from the shop. Retrotek arrives this week. I will be busy this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts