Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished restoring a 69 big block car, with all knew wiring. I noticed when I first checked out the lights, the console gauge lights were real bright. the next time I turned the on, they didn't come on. I then checked the bulbs and the were all blown. Has anybody had this problem?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
First check that you have the right bulbs.

When bulbs are lit does the dimmer dim them as well as the dash lights or are the dash lights pegged at 100% too? Could be bad rheostat in the headlight switch.

It also could be a short in the circuit at the console harness connector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used #55 bulbs which were recommended at my local parts store. I did not notice any change when pressed the dimmer. I put a knew headlight switch in when I did the restoration, but I know that doesn't mean anything, being it is a repop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did also try the dimmer @ the head lightswitch, and it does seem to be working, because it dimmed the instrument panel lights.

·
Super Moderator
32,349 Posts
Check alternator voltage while running.
Should read, depending on run time from engine start-up, 13.2 to 14 volts. If over, external regulator needs adjusting,most any alternator shop will do this, or internal regulator needs replace, if internal reg'd alternator.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Check alternator voltage while running.
Should read, depending on run time from engine start-up, 13.2 to 14 volts. If over, external regulator needs adjusting,most any alternator shop will do this, or internal regulator needs replace, if internal reg'd alternator.
Check for PM, Ev.

capt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts