Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my hands on a console gauge cluster.It looks like it is complete, with the wiring harness in tact. My question is this. Sense my car did not come equiped with this option is there a plug in my car allready from the factory that the cluster harness will plug right into? Also, where does the round plug on the cluster harness attach . It is for the fuel gauge. I'll have to buy a in dash tach to replace the existing fuel gauge. Someone did cut the wires which look like they power the whole cluster. One is a white wire and the other is yellow. Where do these go? I guess I forgot to mention this is on my 69 Camaro. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hi there....

I think you are going to need a different gauge harness, one for console gauges and tach. The black "round plug" on the wiring is the low fuel relay that lights the dash idiot light.

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 3/10/01)

·
Registered
997 Posts
My car is an automatic,I bought a factory gauge set,it came with the console harness.The harness was for a 4 speed car.I used that harness and added to it,to make my neutral safety,and reverse lights work.The rest of the harness I ran myself.You will have to do your homework on the wiring though.Dont just jump into it,it can be confusing.The only thing that doesn't work is the low fuel light.I probably will have to go through all the problems mccorry went through.Mccorry,where did you get the electrics to fix your low fuel sender?Is it common stuff at, like,radio shack?

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yeah, Dale. Its all from Radio Shack. The biggest issue is fitting all the new (bigger) transistors into the small black case.

I am still messing with mine to get it to come on at 1/8 tank. Right now it comes on WAY too late. I think I am going to make it adjustable....

------------------

·
Registered
997 Posts
I pulled mine out of the 302 car today.The light never worked on it.Almost every solder is broken.What are the dark areas in the printed circuit?built in resistors?

------------------

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yep. You got it. Now you can see what I mean by "tough getting all the new components inside"!

I never did find any solder that would take to the board. That white board is actually a ceramic wafer....

------------------

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for you imput guys. I looked in my shop manual to see if it showed the cluster. It did show it but it was very vague (like alot of things in there). The wiring diagram did not show any wiring for the cluster. Do you think you can simply unplug the stock fuel gauge and wire it to the cluster gauge, also do the same with the gen light to the amp meter and the temp to the temp gauge? The oil is no problem. I called painless wiring and they do not make the "stock" harness, but they make a harness that they say will work, but I'll have to cut into my existing harness.

·
Registered
997 Posts
All of those things will work ,by moving the dash wiring to the new gauges.The amp gauge will need special wiring(10 gauge,with a fuse) Before you do the wiring,I cannot stress enough,do your homework,it can get confusing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mccorry & dale68ZMy car does not have a fuel light so can I eliminate the found the round part of the harness? Also from what point to what point did you run the 10 gauge wire?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mccorry & dale68ZMy car does not have a fuel light so can I eliminate the found the round part of the harness? Also from what point to what point did you run the 10 gauge wire?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The fuel gauge will work fine without the low fuel light or relay. Just leave it off.

If the car has the relay, I'd be interested in it....

------------------

·
Registered
997 Posts
I ran my amp gauge wires to the junction block by the battery.The other wire,I connected to the alternator.I believe the wire I have connected to the alt, should be connected to the horn relay.I tried it,didn't seem to work properly.

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts