Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much time, and how difficult it will be to make the conversion to factory tach, and console gauges?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I asked earlier how hard it was to make console gauge conversion.
Well i tore into it tonight and everything was going good untill i tried to get my factory fuel gauge out. Does anyone know how to get the gauge out so i can put in a oem tach. It seems to me like its buit into the dash. Any help would be great, thanks for your time. Forgot to say its a 69 with warning lights

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Larry,

Thank you for the link to past question. I understand that the back of housing for tach will need to be cut. But how do I get the fuel gauge out. It does not apper to have screws. Will it be cut out or do I just cut to make tach fit?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your pictures are awsome. So when I pull the wires off of the fuel guage there will be nuts behind them. Just unscrew them and it will fall out? also when you made your conversion do you have msd ignition set up? Did that complicate the tach installation?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a clock in about 4 months ago. Im a newby when it comes to car repairs so pulling out dash and having wires everywhere seems to be a bit overwhelming. Im just hoping that everything will work when it goes back together. So when I unscrew the nots on the back then the lens will come off through the front and the fuel gauge will come out through the back? Did you do a console gauge conversion? If so was it difficult?

·
Registered
602 Posts
The lens has 2 screws in the top and 2 above the radio.. Lens and gauge both come out from the outside . 2 nuts on fuel gauge . If you do the cutout in the car watch for wires behind the dash .

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, Im now need some professinal help. I finished installing 1969 console gauge converstion harness for auto transmission and I have 1 wire left over and 2 steps that I could not do because I did not have the wires.
Does anyone happen to have a picture of the harness where I could show someone what wire is left over? Any help would be awsome. I don't want to put dash back together and have messed something up.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The wire i haveleft over is a pink one. It has an end on it that holds a light bulb, just like warning lights. Its the number 9 wire and it is pigtailed out of harness conversion kit (american autowire). The wire is hot when ign is on? Any help would be great

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its installed, just tried to get pics, they dont really show much. The instructions say "power conections for 1967-69. Plug the orange wire from location 1 of the gauge harness connector to a constant battery power terminal on the face of the fuse panel. Plug the pink wire from location 9 of the gauge harness conector to an ignition power terminal on the face of the fuse panel" i did not have an orange wire to plug in and the #9 wire gets hot when ignition is on, so it wouldnt make sense to plug pink in. Thanks mark for templet i used it today. Also i was told oem tach would not work without a "tach fix" it did work without it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts