Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can any one tell me if the console gauge package sold by Rick's and Classic comes from the same manufacturer???
Are they basically identical?? I head that Rick's was doing a swap with the faces of the gauges to make then more like original?? Are the gauge faces on the ones from Classic different???
Any info would be appreciated
Thanks!
Dan
'68 Convertible

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I got the console gauge kit from Classic Industries for my '69. They are OER GM Restoration Parts, which means thay are appoved and I believe made by GM to replace original parts. They fit,look and work well. I'm not familar with Rick's, so I really can't coment on that set.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Originally posted by dschribs:
Hi
Can any one tell me if the console gauge package sold by Rick's and Classic comes from the same manufacturer???
Are they basically identical?? I head that Rick's was doing a swap with the faces of the gauges to make then more like original?? Are the gauge faces on the ones from Classic different???
Any info would be appreciated
Thanks!
Dan
'68 Convertible
I got the console gauge kit from Classic Industries for my '69. They are OER GM Restoration Parts, which means thay are appoved and I believe made by GM to replace original parts. They fit,look and work well. I'm not familar with Rick's, so I really can't coment on that set.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Most of the parts that make up the repro console gauges are OER parts. Some of the catalogs source a few of the parts from different vendors but the majority is OER. I believe anything by OER is manufactured by Classic Industries. BTW, Classic Headquarters is all manufactured by Rick's 1st Gen.

-Marc

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi Dan,
In put the console gauges, including tic toc tach, in my 68 and I couldn't be happier. I got 'em from Classic Industries. My car never had them in the first place, so I was stoked to have them at all! As for the color of the individual faces, I don't know that they are any different than original, although I also heard somewhere that Rick's was doing...something to the color. Its a distinction that's lost on me, however. I'm satisfied with what I got. :cool:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve:
I just ordered the gauge package from Classic today. Had a 20% coupon discount so it worked out great.

Sweet car. Almost identical to mine. Question for you, how did you go about drilling the hole in the lens cover for the tach?? Did you have an old one to use as a template?? It seems like you have one shot to drill the hole in the right spot or the lens is ruined...

Also, how tough did you find the installation of the guages/tach. I have an article on the gauge package installation that someone from the board sent me as well as the instructions from Factory Fit wiring harness. Just wanted to see if you had any tips....
Thanks!
'68 Convertible

·
Registered
807 Posts
dschribs,
I was going to install everything myself, but I had my car at the dealer doing the leaf springs and shocks, and we had a few days to wait for parts, so to take advantage of the downtime, I had them install the gauges and tach. The tech told me it was not only straight forward, but it was actually kinda fun...and he got lucky with drilling the hole...he doesn't get a chance to work on these first gens very often. The service manager is a friend of mine, so I got a great deal, and I bought the parts myself and had them drop shipped. I'll try to find out what I can, and I'll let you know. The only prob I ran into was the dreaded word "back-order", but I ultimately got around that too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts