Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! 1st time user. Great website! I have a '69 RS and having problems with my console gauges and now my ignition. I changed out my defective console gauges (black faced gauges - came off Novas I believe) to the silver ones (purchased the gauge cluster from Matt's Classic). The wire gauge harness that went to the gauges had a 6 position connector with 5 wires to it. I replaced the existing gauge cluster and it seemed to work, but wasn't sure it was accurate. The only problem was the lamps would'nt twist into position - the sockets (2 wire) were too small for the opening where it was to be mounted and I wasn't able to turn my engine off. I turned the key off and nothing happened the car stayed running. Can anyone tell me the gauge harness I have now (6 position connector) is for Camaros with non-console gauge installed on them originally? I did buy a gauge harness from Classics, but it had a 12 pin connector on it, but didn't use it. Can anyone point me in the right direction. My email address is [email protected]

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! On my new (unused) 12pin connector harness, I have all pins wired where your picture has 7 pins wired. Do you know where the wire goes to and where is this connector located? I just bought my car recently and on my car now I have a 6 pin connector instead of the 12pin going to my console gauges. Thanks for the picture.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
This should help you out :)

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
69rszee said:
Hi! On my new (unused) 12pin connector harness, I have all pins wired where your picture has 7 pins wired. Do you know where the wire goes to and where is this connector located? I just bought my car recently and on my car now I have a 6 pin connector instead of the 12pin going to my console gauges. Thanks for the picture.
The pic I posted was a non-guage harness. As per the diagram that click posted, the guage harness with auto trans does use all the terminal, same connector tho.

It should be either in the console or stuffed up under the dash, but I fear whoever put the nova guages in may have chopped the original wiring. Since you are dealing with what was originally a non guage car, who knows what's up under the dash.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure if my '69 was a non gauge car. Do I need the 12 pin harness no matter what? If I do, I will use the diagram above. I will to look for the connector under my dash. Does anyone know after replacing my gauges why my car stayed running eventhough I turned my key off? Or is it just coincidence that my ignition switch gone bad? Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The car not shutting off is telling you that the "ignition circuit" is remaining energized with the key off. You're gonna need to do some tests with a voltmeter to find out why.

One of the most infamous causes is an MSD ignition box, which, since it wires directly to the battery, can backfeed the ignition circuit under some conditions. msd sells a diode kit to correct it.

Could also be something related to the guage wiring that is crossing the "ign" circuit and the "bat" circuit. Bat circuit wires are orange. Not sure on "ign" except the punk wire for the backup lights is part of the "ign" circuit and is in the console.

Camaros always used that 12 pin harness plug I pictured. If your guages have a 6 pin plug, and something to hitch it to, someone's been messing around, and it's gonna be real hard for me to tell from here exactly how.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will look into my console wiring. I would like to install the 12 pin connector harness assy. the way it should be. Thanks again for the responses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts