Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been beat to death but I have a simple question. Have any of you bought a reproduction console temp gauge and a reproduction temp sender from a Camaro parts house that seemed to be fairly accurate once you got it installed? My new gauge and sender shows 1 tick mark below 1/4 when my 396 is at operating temperature. I know this is not nowhere close to being right. The sending unit is the correct threaded stud sender for gauges. I don't remember where I got the picture I have attached to this post, but it shows what should be fairly close to various temps.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I know this subject has been beat to death but I have a simple question. Have any of you bought a reproduction console temp gauge and a reproduction temp sender from a Camaro parts house that seemed to be fairly accurate once you got it installed? My new gauge and sender shows 1 tick mark below 1/4 when my 396 is at operating temperature. I know this is not nowhere close to being right. The sending unit is the correct threaded stud sender for gauges. I don't remember where I got the picture I have attached to this post, but it shows what should be fairly close to various temps.
That's about where mine has been showing and both the sensor as well as the gauge are factory originals. I think I have a 160 thermostat in there. I just bought a 180 and will be replacing it this weekend because it's obviously too cold. I might even pop a 190 in there.

Reactions: Bigfish45

·
Retired
26,659 Posts
A reply I made a while back... Looks like you're in the ballpark. To clarify my 180 is touching the 1/4 mark but leaning to the right side.

the factory temp gauges all read just a little different, don't know if it's because some are repro and others factory or if it's different senders being used. What I did is run a good Autometer and the factory gauge together for a while. I know at 180 on the Autometer the factory gauge needle is just on the right side of the 1/4 mark and by forcing the temp up to about 200 the factory gauge reads at the 1/2 mark. In theory that puts the 3/4 mark at 220 and each tic mark would be 5 degs. Once I figured that out I removed the Autometer gauge and feel comfortible with the factory and knowing where my temp is.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
I have a 180 degree thermostat in my big block and the needle on my OER temp. gauge settles right in the middle of the 1/4 and 1/2 mark lines on the gauge about even with the 187 degree mark that is on the above picture.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
FWIW... I replaced my thermostat this past weekend. I pulled out a 195 and put in a 180. I don't think the 195 was operating correctly because my temp went up. It was probably stuck open or opened to soon. With the new 180, my needle touches the lower side of the 173 degree mark according to the pic posted above. It didn't matter whether it was in the middle of driving it 100 miles in the middle of the day (~87 degrees) or at night on the way home in the cooler temps. I might buy another 195 and try it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts