Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert to console guages and a tick-toc-tac. Looking thru all the catalogs avalable I suspect I need to change the engine harness, dash harness and the console harness. Has anyone out there done this conversion? What all need to be changed? What did it cost to do this conversion?

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I changed all wiring on my 67 and added the tach/guages. Assue you have a 68 which should be similar. There is a patch harness for the gauges to the dash harness (I didnt do that) to allow reuse of the dash harness which is expensive to replace. But you'll need the engine harness(s) for the ammeter wire and tach feed to do it properly. Not sure if the patch handles the tach input to speedo pod come to think of it...

I would call american autowire or your favorite vendor and talk to a salesperson/tech.

It costs whatever all the harness' add up to. $300+?

http://www.americanautowire.com/

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
about $1000

console gauges
tach
wiring
temp sending unit

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By patch harness I assume you are refuring to the conversion harness listed in Rick's NPD and others. Good idea I will call them to see if I need any other harnesses besides the console harness. Oh and by the way mine is 68. Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Yea the conversion harness...AAW discussion may be more meaningful than any middle vendor. Typically same price. I think the underdash harness with fuse box is close to $375 by itself?
I assumed you had the tach and gauges already!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,351 Posts
I did the Conversion. Contact American Autowire and they will convert your Dash Harness for a Factory Gauge Setup. You will have to purchase the extention harness, but the way they assemble your harness, you would think that it is a Factory harness. I also has them add the connectors for the Under Dash Courtesy Lights. You will also need a New Console Harness, Engine harness and Front Light harness. You will need a brass Fitting for the Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge on top of the block, in back of the Distributor, Temperature Sending Unit and the Fuel gauge Sending Unit is the same.
If you need a Factory Tach and Console Gauges, I have an extra set.

http://www.americanautowire.com/

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm going to be adding a dash tach and console gauges to my 67, I plan to use the factory console housing but aftermarket gauges. Does it make sense to buy the plug in console gauge conversion harness for this or only if you're using factory gauges?
I'll be replacing both my light harness and engine harness(hei and factory guages) at the same time so the additional circuits will be there for the stock gauge inputs.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appresiate all the feed back. I don't realy want to strip out all my harnesses and replace them because of the cost and mine are in exceptionally good condithion. The conversion harness sounds like the way to go for me. I just wanted to know if it was an add on to what I already have. I called Ricks and they confirmed that it was, but is not correct for a full reto. My engine compartment isn't original anyway so this harness is for me. To replace all the haresses, new guages, curcuit board etc... would be approx $1500; to do with the coversion harness about $900-$1000 not including shipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts