Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:
I will be installing a console and automatic horseshoe shifter on my non console '68 convertible. My question concerns mounting the console over the carpet. In doing a search on the subject, I found out that the front metal bracket should be mounted directly to the transmission hump and the carpet should be cut out around it. No problem there. My question concerns the other two mounting points on the console base. Do I simply cut an "X" in the carpet and slip the bolts through the carpet like on a seat bolt or do I also cut out a section of the carpet where these mounting points are?? The mounting points on the console base seem to have an "extender" on the bottom of them and it seems like they would make the base sit flat on the carpet. My gut tells me just to cut an "X" and bolt right through the carpet just like the seats. Just wanted to know what everyone else has done. I checked the assembly manual, but really couldn' find anything on this...
Thanks!!
Dan
'68 Convertible

·
Registered
715 Posts
Just roll the carpet off the hump and drill your holes in the in the dimples on the hump first then roll the carpet back over the hump and make holes in the carpet to stick the bolts through and mount everything in....did this 2 years ago myself.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Dan, If I remember when I did mine I believe there was an outline on the back of the carpet pad to cut out if you had a console. I used a gasket hole punch and small block of wood to cut the holes for the rear console bracket bolts. This bracket is over the carpet. The shifter bracket bolts right to the tunnel itself (no carpet under it).

I also took four 5/16" course bolts and cut the heads off and gound them to points. Cleaned up the seat mounting threded holes with a tap and screwed the pointed studs in where the seat mounting bolts go. These pierced the carpet and then I used gasket hole punch once again. No mistakes slipping with a razor knife :eek: and it makes for a clean install.

Something else I did to make life easier to remove the console at a later date was to grind off the two studs (which go through the tunnel) on the front console bracket and drill holes in the bracket for 5/16" bolts. I then drilled the holes bigger in the tunnel and installed steel threaded inserts (5/16" - 18 course thread) which pull and hold like a pop rivet. With the shifter in 1st gear and the gear shift lens bezel out you can reach your hand up in there and install the bolts for the front bracket. It worked out nice! When I took the console out to do the carpet my transmission and exhaust system was in the car and getting to the two 1/2" nuts above the transmission was a PIA, right side wasn't too bad but the left side was a real sucker. I think I finally ended up using a 1/4" drive with extensions and swivel sockets.

If you want to remove the console later it will be easy.

Good Luck

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
when i did mine, the front metal bracket goes straight to the tin, no carpert under it, this is agreed upon it seems. but as for the other mounting points, where the console has the little round "stand offs" that the bolts go through, i cut out the carpet that would be in the area the console would contact the floor. basically 3/4" round holes in the carpet. that way all console mounting points are in contact with the floor pan, no carpet. when i was installing carpet in my car (orig console), i checked into this and got no solid yes or no about the rear mounts. i went ahead and did it the way i described to be sure the console fits tight to the carpet, and it does, and it looks very good i think. i personally feel this is definately the way to do it, but cant say for sure if its the way the factory did it. just my .02, good luck with it!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sure Dan, They only made one body.

The front console bracket I was talking about in my earlier post is showing in HwyStarJoe's picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts