Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did GM make two different console mounting brackets? One with the wiring harness holder and one without. Or do the repo brackets just omit the wiring harness holder? I see both kinds, one with and one without. What gives with these?

·
Registered
579 Posts
If I remember when I took out a console etc. from a 68, the carpet was trimmed to just fit under the console, so the the bracket you have will fit flush on the floor.

H

·
0 Posts
hey kurt, wondering if you would do me a big favor-- i am installing a console in mine car and it never has had one. any way if you could measure a point to point locoation on your floor so i will know where to mount that bracket you are speaking of. i know there are suppose to be dipples in the floor pan but i can,t seem to find them. so if you could measure say from the first seam under the dash back to the front edge of the bracket it would really help me.plus maybe from that same seam measure to the front edge of the shifter, or if anyone else is in position to do this i would really appericate it. THANKS

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My console is in the car at this time. It will be coming out in the future, but you probably want to know now. I do know that the dimples for the console bracket are 4" apart (left to right). That my help you determine which ones are correct. If you are going to have a stick shift, the best way I found to locate the shifter hole is by using the console itself. After the console is bolted in place you can draw the shifter hole location from the console shifter tunnel. From that you can locate the boot retaining ring and the hole wants to be just slightly smaller than that ring.

This link may help you some:
http://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum14/HTML/000183.html

I found out that the console mounting bracket does not mount on top of the carpet. The carpet/pad are cut around it. Also, you might want to consider drilling out the studs on the console bracket and mounting it with rivnuts and bolts. It's much easier to install, especially if the trans is in, and it's also easier to remove if you ever need to.

The rivnuts are still available from GM. Part #3792287 Less than $2.00 ea.

Look for an original console bracket. Ebay has them quite often. The repos don't seem to have the wiring connector holder on them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My '69 did not have a harness holder, just to let you know... Maybe some did and others did not? But there was a strike at GM that year too so who knows???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts