Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. It seems most vendors will sell a complete console either assembled or unassembled. The assembled one is typically about $100 more. Why would anyone spend an additional hundred dollars to avoid snapping/screwing some plastic pieces together? I must be missing something but since I have no direct experience I thought I would ask the experts. This is for a console without gauges.

For what it's worth, I am leaning towards unassembled because I want to hydrodip the shift plate and the forward filler plate (and if I can save $100 in the process it's all good). I am concerned if I purchase the assembled one I might break it taking it apart >:)

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
The shift plate, and the forward plate come off easy. It's kinda a pain to put one together. I thought like you and bought an unassembled one. All the stoppers, and Ash tray springs will make you cuss. Ultimately your choice though.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shift plate, and the forward plate come off easy. It's kinda a pain to put one together. I thought like you and bought an unassembled one. All the stoppers, and Ash tray springs will make you cuss. Ultimately your choice though.
Keith - this is exactly the kind of information I am looking for so thank you. Sometimes its worth a few bucks not to frustrate the hell out of ones self. If those plates come off a completed one fairly easily I will just go assembled and do a little disassembly once I get it.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tim, If you're not concerned about the factory style you may want to check out
the consoles with a built in armrest and cup holders. I personally miss an armrest
on my 67.
I looked at those but decided to go with the classic look (at least on this item). My car is by no means original in any way, shape or form so my interior is kind of a weird blend of old and new but I think I'm going to really like it. I know what you mean about the arm rest though, they're nice to have.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sometimes it's not worth the time and aggravation as well as cutting up your fingers. >:)

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I remember fiddling with a spring for awhile until I understood it after looking at the picture in the factory assembly manual, I didn't remember if it was the storage door or the ashtray that took a bit of time.

I sure do miss a cup holder though, I'm always reaching around the floor looking for the bottle of water that went flying after some tight corners.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I sure do miss a cup holder though, I'm always reaching around the floor looking for the bottle of water that went flying after some tight corners.
There may be some "donut" type generic cup holder you can buy but I just made one inside my 67 console. Same idea will work on a 68-69 console.

Bought a rubber cup console insert from Amazon for $8. 3".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076B2WL3K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got a 3" PVC fitting at home Depot for $2 and wrapped it in black gaffers tape and cut a piece of 1/4" ply I had and rattle caned it after using a hole saw to cut a hole in the 1/4" ply that made a interference fit for the cup holder. Secured it with the hold down bolt inside the console and called it good. Fits easily under console lid

1 - 11 of 11 Posts