Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to restore the console in my '67, can anyone recommend a good, tough paint? Does anyone offer a paint spray for this specific job? I have a black interior, does the console get a different black than the metal on the doors and dash? Thanks for any guidance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don't paint it, dye it! SEM makes a dye that you can spray on that works much better than paint and won't chip or flake off. I had this done on my console, turned out great!

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm in the same boat and I just purchased some black lacquer for metal and hard plastic that is supposed to match the original color. I sprayed it out and it looks way too glossy (looks like normal high gloss black paint). Does anyone know how glossy the original black should be? Also, I've heard that you should use a plastic primer for better adhesion, any recommendations?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I just got my new issue of Chevy High Performance and there's a good article on this subject complete with product recommendations. Check it out.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
'99 HD Road King Classic

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all of the posts. I did find SEM vinyl dye at a local shop and used it last night. It really looks good. The cap said "landau black" and looks to be a good match to what was on there. It's kind of a "semi flat" finish. Hopefully, it will be tough and last a long time!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts